Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-20-2011, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best thread on here since ETW! Thanks for taking the time to share with everyone.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

great everything. we are a good size company,, but not by your standards!!! haha

we also have been debt free, not from the beginning, but for a very long time. the only way to do it i think. only buy what we need.

i wish we could do above ground fuel, but we cant at our commercial location. only under ground, so that is out of the question.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

You have really worked hard for what you have i can tell by reading your post. Great job
Old 12-21-2011, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc7 View Post
WOW! What a great business!

So on equipment purchases (trucks, mowers, handhelds) do you buy new or used? Do you purchase whatever is cheapest at the time, or aare you somewhat brand loyal?
Also, how do you find all of your employees? And what does your training program consist of? Do you require uniforms? Sorry so many questions, I'm always hungry for knowledge. I love your system of checks for the managers, great idea!
Everything we buy is new...we made the mistake of buying some demo hustler ztr's one time...won't do that again.

We are pretty brand loyal to TORO for turf equipment and STIHL for everything else. Currently we have 1 Hustler Super Z that we use for our commercial properties where ground speed is a must. We have purchased some John Deere equipment (Parking lot blowers and 4 push mowers) but haven't been overly impressed. When it comes to heavy equipment we use CAT and John Deere pretty equally and they work great. Trenching equipment is all Ditch Witch.

We started out 19 years ago getting day laborers to help with the larger projects and it slowly evolved into part time help then we had the need for full time. We had (2) hispanics that worked with us once we went to full time employees and they pretty much just spread the word to friends and family. Now it seems like there are a couple each morning at our shop looking for work.

Our training program is pretty generic, we start everyone at the "bottom" (laborer for a few days) until we can see where the best fit for them will be. The foremen will see if they can run each piece of equipment and how well. We train them to have an eye for detail and to never leave a site until it is something they are proud of. The guys who have been here for a long time have made their way up to a foreman or crew leader position and they don't seem to ever leave. We have several of our staff who have been here for 15+ years.

Uniforms are a touchy subject right now...For years we have had a policy of wearing an Ideal safety yellow shirt, safety vest, clean pants, leather boots and if they wear a hat it must be an Ideal hat. Now we are looking into a uniform company supplying them and we just cant seem to make up our minds. It is nice though, because under their lease agreement they guys could get (5) pants, (5) shirts and (1) jacket for like $4 a week. Not bad, we just haven't made up our minds yet.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-21-2011, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Our Fence Division set up. This was when the truck was first outfitted...the equipment shows some age now, but this is how the truck is set up when going out of town on a big fence job. There is another 3/4 truck that pulls a camper if the crew is able to stay on site.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2011, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a nice crew for fencing, I offer that service but really don't market it. But I saw this in the last issue of Compact Equipment. Thought it would be slick for punching holes, its called a wobble auger. Do you just have the panels, or link, delivered to the site or do you pick up?

http://www.danuser.com/products/cons...bbleauger.html

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 12-21-2011, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Thats a nice crew for fencing, I offer that service but really don't market it. But I saw this in the last issue of Compact Equipment. Thought it would be slick for punching holes, its called a wobble auger. Do you just have the panels, or link, delivered to the site or do you pick up?

http://www.danuser.com/products/cons...bbleauger.html
Ive seen that too, looks nice. We do mostly high security fencing for airports, jails and government projects. All material is shipped to site.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i recently lost a customer who has been awesome to work for over man years, they are moving to the raliegh area and i was so impressed with what you have going i gave them your name to call when they get there. their last name is Mundstock in case you care.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
i recently lost a customer who has been awesome to work for over man years, they are moving to the raliegh area and i was so impressed with what you have going i gave them your name to call when they get there. their last name is Mundstock in case you care.
Thanks a lot man! Tell them to ask for Tim when they call the office or (919)369-9912

If they hook up with us I'll send you something for it! Thanks again.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealscape View Post
Another residential install
oddly enough I had to redo most of the lighting on this house about a year and a half ago. I doubt yall installed it but it was EXTREMELY over volted and a few of the fixtures caught on fire. I know there were some others (not to be mentioned aloud here) involved with this project but thought I'd let you know I got it looking pretty decent now.

If yall ever need some big material call me up, we run some stuff to your area for bland on occasion and love to help you out, I'll try not to be overweight

Brandon Vaughan
www.tomscreek.com
Attached Images