Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-23-2011, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
Sorry if you already answered this, but do you only have 1 mechanic or do you have a few? Seems like a lot of stuff for one guy to take care of by himself.

And, additionally, how much maintenance are your crews responsible for? This can include trucks or equipment.

Thanks
We have 1 full time mechanic that works about 50-55hrs a week. The Foremen are responsible for checking oil, lights and straps/chains each morning before leaving the shop, that includes truck and equipment. Each Friday the entire crew is responsible for cleaning the truck. The install crews are responsible for greasing their equipment every (8) hours or every day after they are done.

Each week the maintenance trucks have "service hours" where every day a different crew comes in earlier then the others and the mechanic will go through truck and equipment to make sure everything is running as it should.

The truck maintenance (oil change, tire rotation, grease, inspection) is put into a spread sheet and followed by the mechanic to ensure no vehicle is "under serviced".
Old 12-23-2011, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Now thts a Preventive maintenance system. Ideal, would like your opinion on an equipment purchase. I have been getting into more tree work(waiting on my Arborist exam score) and landscaping. Would like to get into Right of way clearing. I have a mustang 2044 skidsteer that I'm selling , which direction would you suggest in a diFferent machine? I've been looking at mini skids (realy like the ditch witch sk650) or a Mustang MTL16 or a T190. I really think the full size tracked machine would benefit me more. Wondering what you outlook is if you had to make a choice. Thanks, Jacob
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2011, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealscape View Post
We have 1 full time mechanic that works about 50-55hrs a week. The Foremen are responsible for checking oil, lights and straps/chains each morning before leaving the shop, that includes truck and equipment. Each Friday the entire crew is responsible for cleaning the truck. The install crews are responsible for greasing their equipment every (8) hours or every day after they are done.

Each week the maintenance trucks have "service hours" where every day a different crew comes in earlier then the others and the mechanic will go through truck and equipment to make sure everything is running as it should.

The truck maintenance (oil change, tire rotation, grease, inspection) is put into a spread sheet and followed by the mechanic to ensure no vehicle is "under serviced".
This sounds like a very good system to make sure that all equipment running as it should. And very well split up between your crews.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like Ford's too.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Now thts a Preventive maintenance system. Ideal, would like your opinion on an equipment purchase. I have been getting into more tree work(waiting on my Arborist exam score) and landscaping. Would like to get into Right of way clearing. I have a mustang 2044 skidsteer that I'm selling , which direction would you suggest in a diFferent machine? I've been looking at mini skids (realy like the ditch witch sk650) or a Mustang MTL16 or a T190. I really think the full size tracked machine would benefit me more. Wondering what you outlook is if you had to make a choice. Thanks, Jacob
Posted via Mobile Device
We currently run (2) CAT 246 wheeled machines, (2) CAT Two Speed Track machines, (1) 333D John Deere Track machine and (1) 323D John Deere Track machine. I would have to say that size wise the 323D JD is the best "small" machine we have. We don't use anything smaller than that so I don't know how much help I would be there.

We also have a D3...that'll clear some right of way! Little pricey though!
Old 12-23-2011, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
This sounds like a very good system to make sure that all equipment running as it should. And very well split up between your crews.
Preventative Maintenance is the only way to go once you get a bunch of equipment in the field. Also, make good friends with your sales rep...they will bend over backwards for you when equipment breaks. Downtime is very expensive!
Old 12-23-2011, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Here is a picture of the D3 behind our "work horse". That 3500 Duramax Chevy is the hardest working, strongest truck we have in the fleet. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

**we don't move the dozer this way long distance. This was just a short trip around the corner.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2011, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Also, our fuel tanks seemed to be a hot topic on here - I figured I would put up a better picture of them.

So the company you purchase fuel from delivers the mixed fuel as well? I was thinking you guys did that on site?? Also how often do you guys sell trucks and equipment. Do you keep it till it breaks or do you get rid of them after so many miles? ( hint hint I like truck 11) lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2011, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpropm View Post
So the company you purchase fuel from delivers the mixed fuel as well? I was thinking you guys did that on site?? Also how often do you guys sell trucks and equipment. Do you keep it till it breaks or do you get rid of them after so many miles? ( hint hint I like truck 11) lol
Posted via Mobile Device
We actually mix our own fuel...like knowing how/when it is done and the tank is locked and only mechanic and I have a key to it. Trucks tend to stay around here for a while. We have a '96 and '97 ford (F250-F350 dually), '98 Chevrolet pipe truck, 2000 Chevy 1500 and "Old Blue" our first truck '86 Ford Dump truck that are still around, they run, but don't go out. We just spent $7500 on truck 11 so I can promise it will be staying around for a while.

If and when we do sell trucks, we might throw them on here and see what happens.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Here is a picture of the D3 behind our "work horse". That 3500 Duramax Chevy is the hardest working, strongest truck we have in the fleet. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

**we don't move the dozer this way long distance. This was just a short trip around the corner.
Now tht is sweet. Thanks for the info. I figure I would be better off with a bigger machine and just rent a smaller one as needed.
Posted via Mobile Device