Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-09-2011, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
What do you try to charge per man hour on maintenance, irrigation and landscaping?
As I said, we're all in this together and I don't consider anyone a competitor...but there are some things/information that we don't volunteer. All I can say is that we have spent countless hours looking at P&L statements and figuring out where we have to be $ wise to stay profitable. All pricing structures are different based on your market...We have done work 200 miles away that was priced entirely different than around home. I am happy to help with most everything when it comes to the business...but we don't talk about our pricing. Sorry.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I would like your insight on when to branch out and when to focus. I see that you do maintenance,irrigation, hardscapes, pools, sidewalks and prison fences to name a few. I am a solo operator who is looking to add an employee for the next year and currently I am doing maintenance and small installs. Did you start out working on alittle of everything or how did you branch out? What advice could you give the little guy who wants to grow. Focus on a few services or become a jack of all trades?
Thanks,
Andy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2011, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy31 View Post
I would like your insight on when to branch out and when to focus. I see that you do maintenance,irrigation, hardscapes, pools, sidewalks and prison fences to name a few. I am a solo operator who is looking to add an employee for the next year and currently I am doing maintenance and small installs. Did you start out working on alittle of everything or how did you branch out? What advice could you give the little guy who wants to grow. Focus on a few services or become a jack of all trades?
Thanks,
Andy
Posted via Mobile Device
First things first, figure out where you want to make your grocery money. We started out raking crawl spaces and installing residential packages...about 8 foundation shrubs, 2 street trees and a pallet of sod. Well the demand to maintain that install became evident so we created the maintenance division of our company. Our company now handles installs in the $3-4M range and the maintenance has followed suit, but is not our bred and butter. Take the winter months (if you get to slow down a bit) and focus on where you want to take your company in 2012. Don't think too big, one year at a time. Above all else, make sure whatever you do, that you take a job you can complete properly...never "half-ass" something because you took a job too big for your britches. Good luck! Don't be scared to grow...surround yourself with employees that are excited about the opportunity to grow as well.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Those pictures tell alot about your company. Not just what you have and how big your company is but, how you got to where you are. Everything is so neat and organized. I think that shows through on your work and your business sense. I love to see an operation like yours.
Are you the sole owner or do you have partners?
Old 12-10-2011, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

One owner
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2011, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I dont want to get into price, but i have a question about how you figure out how long leaves will take you when the leaves are still on the trees. We know our rates for mowing, hedge trimming, mulching, annuals, etc. But the only thing I seem to have trouble figuring out is how long it will take to clean up leaves when they are still on the trees. I am asking this because we are working on some bids for this upcoming season for some more commercial accounts, I just wanted to see what you used to figure this out. If you don't want to say it on here could you pm me. Thanks
Old 12-10-2011, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Tough one...leaves can be tricky. We usually just make an extremely "educated guess". Haha. Commercial properties are annual contracts, and should be understood that way when it comes to the financials as well. You will have at least one time during the year where that job is breaking even or even losing money due to man hours. Just try and pad your number a little bit. That doesn't mean that for 3 months your losing money, but one or two weeks is the norm. Still kind of a tough question...hope that helped.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2011, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Congratulations on a very successful business, I know it must of been a lot of work to reach the level you are at. Pictures are great, love the shop. Don't know how i would act with that much room.
2-TORO Z MASTER'S 25/62 JOHN DEERE 757 -25/60
LESCO Z2 25/60 TORO Z MASTER 19/52 SCAG WB/48
82 CHEVY 4X4 - MEYER'S PLOW- BILLYGOAT LOADER
83 F600- 9INCH DIESEL BRUSH BANDIT CHIPPER
8X24 SHADO MASTER V NOSE ENCLOSED
trailers -6.5X14 - 6.5X16 - 18 FT EQUIPEMET
Old 12-12-2011, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Hopefully this question isnt too nosy... Over a entire year what percentage of your gross is your payroll?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-12-2011, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWB View Post
Hopefully this question isnt too nosy... Over a entire year what percentage of your gross is your payroll?
Posted via Mobile Device
Roughly 30-35%...our average weeks payroll is around $27k but will climb to about $40k if we have a large project with a deadline.