Old 12-12-2011, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Another residential install
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2011, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

WOW! beautiful work!

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 12-12-2011, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Couple of our residential installs after they have matured for a few years...we still maintain these today.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2011, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealscape View Post
Roughly 30-35%...our average weeks payroll is around $27k but will climb to about $40k if we have a large project with a deadline.
Thanks!!! Does this 30-35% include unemployment, workmans comp, 401k's, taxes, ect?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-12-2011, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Strictly payroll. Everything else is extra. We have 65-90 staff all year long
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-12-2011, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your work looks great, love that paver driveway. Thanks for posting the pictures. With a company your size i am surprised you even have time to come on Lawn Site. On page 2 you said you mow 200 residential accounts, we only have a few residential accounts (we do mostly commercial) because so many want to be difficult. A few problems we have had are- Locked back yard gates, locked pool gates, dog left out ( the kind that wont let the guys in the back yard) Customers that don't want their grass cut before 12, and the ones that want their lawn cut to the dirt and then complain about it. With that many residential customers do you run into a lot of problems with people being difficult.
2-TORO Z MASTER'S 25/62 JOHN DEERE 757 -25/60
LESCO Z2 25/60 TORO Z MASTER 19/52 SCAG WB/48
82 CHEVY 4X4 - MEYER'S PLOW- BILLYGOAT LOADER
83 F600- 9INCH DIESEL BRUSH BANDIT CHIPPER
8X24 SHADO MASTER V NOSE ENCLOSED
trailers -6.5X14 - 6.5X16 - 18 FT EQUIPEMET
Old 12-12-2011, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

About 90% of our residential clients have been with us since their install. Some for 15+ years, they know our schedule, love their foremans and know the service that is provided to the T. What can I say, lawn site is kind of fun. Little bit of highschool drama, but everyone can learn something from it which is pretty neat. Personally my new kind of passion would be to teach others about the business kind of like Grunder does. That seems like a new challenge that I might like. This site kind of gives me a look at what that might be like.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-12-2011, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Great work! I love how helpful you are to everyone on here. You have proven yourself in this industry but you are still humble, shows some great character. Appreciate the model you are.

I am currently in college pursuing my Undergrad in Business Management and running a full time business with one employee. What kind of education do you have personally?
High school? Undergrad? Masters? Horticulture? What were your concentrations in any of these?

Thanks,
Jonathan
Old 12-13-2011, 06:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLS214 View Post
Great work! I love how helpful you are to everyone on here. You have proven yourself in this industry but you are still humble, shows some great character. Appreciate the model you are.

I am currently in college pursuing my Undergrad in Business Management and running a full time business with one employee. What kind of education do you have personally?
High school? Undergrad? Masters? Horticulture? What were your concentrations in any of these?

Thanks,
Jonathan
In all honesty, everyone here in upper management did not complete college. All attended high school and had "some college" but no degrees. Our VP has an associates degree in architectural technology. Most if not all of our experience and education has been from trial and error and hard work in the field. We are always willing to try new things, and through working together and not against each other we have been pretty dang successful. I do, however believe that a business management degree or some kind of degree in the green field (Turf Management, Horticultural, or Landscape Ornamental) would definitely benefit anyone looking to start and grow a successful landscape company. Don't let anyone short change you though, experience in the trade is very important...nobody that ever finished a 4 year degree jumped right into a successful company. It takes hard work and dedication.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Idealscape,

I saw in another post that you don't advertise much. I'm assuming your active in your community. What kind of networking do you do? Any tips on getting face time with property managers/business owners? I'm already part of several professional groups and the chamber of commerce where I get to meet a lot of other business owners. Thanks