Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-13-2011, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Those groups are a good way to go...I have been involved in them as well. What I have found is that communication and a friendly relationship will go a long way too. I try and have lunch or meet for drinks/dinner with a different property manager/owner or client every day. Reach out to friends and family, it's not about what you know, it's who you know. As I've said before the way into a property managers office is through the secretary. Be overly friendly to the office ladies, it will go a long way! Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2011, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealscape View Post
Personally my new kind of passion would be to teach others about the business kind of like Grunder does. That seems like a new challenge that I might like. This site kind of gives me a look at what that might be like.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm ready to be a student!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ideal, you have an amazing setup and business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2011, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Ideal, you have an amazing setup and business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you very much.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Incredible, all around. Congratulations on what you've built! There have been impressive companies on here (LS) for a while and we've seen them from their inception to today. But there's something unique about your attitude and your operation.

Thanks for answering everyone's questions in simple, humble, HUMAN terms, unlike many of the other big guys! Love that you use Quickbooks and a day erase board still- sometimes the most simple methods are the most effective.

Work looks EXCELLENT, as does your facility. I'm happy that you've mentioned "slow and steady" growth instead of immediately having a fleet of 12 trucks- I'm a big believer in this.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 12-15-2011, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
Incredible, all around. Congratulations on what you've built! There have been impressive companies on here (LS) for a while and we've seen them from their inception to today. But there's something unique about your attitude and your operation.

Thanks for answering everyone's questions in simple, humble, HUMAN terms, unlike many of the other big guys! Love that you use Quickbooks and a day erase board still- sometimes the most simple methods are the most effective.

Work looks EXCELLENT, as does your facility. I'm happy that you've mentioned "slow and steady" growth instead of immediately having a fleet of 12 trucks- I'm a big believer in this.
I appreciate the kind words. I am new to the site so I haven't seen how the other "larger" companies on here are towards everyone, but we are pretty down to earth people. We do have kind of an old fashioned approach to our business, Quickbooks and dry erase boards are how we built the company...why change it?!? As I said, I am on here to learn as well as help anyone who has aspirations of growing their company the proper way and becoming successful in this business.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know who I want to be like when I grow up! Seriously your operation is truly remarkable! I didn't know if something that scale was even possible in our industry. I would love to pick your brain also about the biz and strategies.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2011, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow...I wish there was more to read...You are a very compelling speaker!! I'm not even in this business and I find your company fascinating!! I would say good luck, But apparently luck has nothing to do with it. I'm ready to pack up the wife, sell the house and move to Raliegh. Know of any good structural engineering firms in the area??

Beautiful work, Would like to see more pictures when you get the time!!
Old 12-16-2011, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatonpcat View Post
Wow...I wish there was more to read...You are a very compelling speaker!! I'm not even in this business and I find your company fascinating!! I would say good luck, But apparently luck has nothing to do with it. I'm ready to pack up the wife, sell the house and move to Raliegh. Know of any good structural engineering firms in the area??

Beautiful work, Would like to see more pictures when you get the time!!
Thank y'all so much for the kind words. We are a pretty humble group here. We got lucky and picked a good market to be in at the right time. There was a major growth boom in our area and our company was the result of the area not having any good service providers. I will say that there are about 4 other privately owned operations comparable to ours that are within 10 miles of us. But still, there is plenty of work for everyone.

Growing a business this size is possible, but remember it takes time and an investment in the right people. 19 years in business is a long time. Half of the guys that are on this website are around that age now! Just practice slow, proper growth and try your best to pay your bills. The only thing that truly impresses me about our company is that we have grown to this size and are completely debt free.

Thank you again for the nice things you have said, but remember to keep the questions coming. I am always open to new ideas and helping everyone...and I would love to learn from y'all too!
Old 12-16-2011, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Got a load in this morning for a few jobs we have coming up. This dude drove over 300 miles over height and overweight...crazy.
Attached Images