Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-17-2014, 05:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Bobcat S770 w/Forestry Cutter Production Rates???

I am wondering if anyone out there use's a similar set-up to cut and mulch large tracks of "thick" brush (similar to bamboo)? I am wondering how many acres a day(8 hrs) you can clear (if more than one)? Also what type of conditions your numbers are based on; flat, dry, wet, snow, etc how are you charging, by the hr? or by the acre? Whats the charge?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-17-2014, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are way to many factors to just throw out a production number. A good operator will know his numbers after looking at the job and give you a flat rate others who may not be as comfortable in their bidding will give you an hourly rate. If someone works by the hr what motivates them to complete the job in a timely manor ? When we bid something at a flat rate we want to get in and out and on to the next job. By the hrs rates with a mulcher not a ambusher will be above 200 per hr
Old 01-17-2014, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Obviously, I am just wondering how much thick brush one can cut and mulch in a 8 hr day. Has anyone cut more than 5 acres in 8hrs? Any examples would be great.

Thanks Again!
Old 01-17-2014, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdye View Post
Obviously, I am just wondering how much thick brush one can cut and mulch in a 8 hr day. Has anyone cut more than 5 acres in 8hrs? Any examples would be great.

Thanks Again!
Why are you asking?

What are you trying to do? Do you own a machine?

We need more information to help you
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2014, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdye View Post

Thanks Again!
Have we done more than 5 acres of light brush per day ? yes !
Old 01-17-2014, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
Have we done more than 5 acres of light brush per day ? yes !
I used to use an ambusher for 3 hours on 3 acres of hilly stuff. Just an open fieldfield in davidsonville. If it wasn't for the bumps I'd fall asleep from Boredem
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2014, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You can mow 5 acres in a day of very light brush if you aren't weaving and bobbing around trees and obstacles. For a mulcher, light brush would be like mowing high grass with a tractor. Doing 5 acres a day and making it look nice are two different things but sure, you can knock it all down pretty quick if it's just overgrown brush. I operate the equivalent of the setup asked about but I rarely do brush and leave that to a rotary. I mostly mulch trees and logs and stumps but brush is generally pretty easy IF there aren't a lot of obstacles as pointed out above.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 01-17-2014, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Yellow Dog, I think it would have to be pretty light material without a lot of obstacles. I have never been able to knock that much out in a day on a job that really needed a mulcher.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

One really important question is how the material needs too be left. If it just needs too be knocked down then it goes fast.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
One really important question is how the material needs too be left. If it just needs too be knocked down then it goes fast.
exactly...

Just like anything else, there are different levels of mulching just like there are different levels of road building, tree trimming, landscaping. You can cover a lot of ground.. almost as fast as the machine will travel (2-3 mph) in light material... but unless you are reclaiming a field or wide open spaces, dodging trees and obstacles is what slows you down. Going too fast also opens up the possibility of running into wire, ditches, rocks, and other things you don't want to hit. I personally dial down my speed and just do the 2-3 mph thing (40-50% of top speed in regular speed). That can cover a lot of ground in a day.. if everything goes as planned but you will still need time to refuel after 5 or 6 hours, blow out your radiator if weather or wind isn't cooperating, operator breaks, etc.
I know it sounds like I make it too complicated but there really are many factors.. and when a potential customer asks me how long something will take, I have to make an educated guess but never say exactly how many acres i can cut in a day unless i'm 100% certain there isn't nothing to slow me down.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing