Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-06-2000, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I've had a guy working part time for me for about the last two years. This season, he's been working full time because he lost his other job. Now all of the sudden he didn't show up yesterday and he hasn't called, ect. I have tried to get a hold of him with no luck. I know he's still alive, because I saw him driving through town. He had been very good at showing up when he was supposed to and I would say he was my best worker I had - if things persisted, I was thinking about giving him his own crew. I recently gave him a raise. I don't know what the problem is, I thought we were somewhat good friends and we worked great together. I guess I must demand too much or something.<p>Joe<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: smithf36
Old 07-06-2000, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Joe, welcome to the club. This is the reason there are so many solo operators. It never ends.<p>----------<br>Yesteryear L/S<br>Hollywood Fla
Old 07-06-2000, 09:11 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
To make it worth the hassle you need to run at least two crews. <p>To much easy work around inside air cond buildings. <p><p><font size="1">Edited by: lawrence stone
Old 07-06-2000, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Had to let a guy go the other day. Hard to get good help with unemployment rates so low. Makes you wonder if employees are really worth it.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida
Old 07-06-2000, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dito grassroots. I have 1 full time operator and two very part time guys. Two of them cant even do what can do. I am not saying i am the best, but here is how it is.<p>Example--&gt; We were doing a new job for the last couple of months. Moderate sized. Hour and a half with my 52&quot; going. The other 2 guys were one trimmers exclusively. They took so long that i had time to double mow! I didnt think anything of it till recently. I had a day with little to do so i went and did the job alone. I mowed for 45 minutes and trimmed for 12 minutes and cleared sidewalks for about 5 minutes. SO, roughly an hour. BY MY SELF! I let them all know the next day that they were in trouble. Crap or get off the pot so to speak. If they cant hang with me, then they need to go and apply at Wendy's. I pay well and would like atleast ONE good person. I had one decent person, speed was good, and quality was above my other employees average, but he liked to SKID into corners. Tore alot of lawns up. And that was the GOOD guy! As you may be able to tell, i am haveing a perterbing day with my &quot;help&quot;.<p>I want to get bigger and have separte crews, but how can i if i cant even get a guy that meets my requirements as i stand there watching him? How do all of you BIg BOYS get over this? How do ya keep the good ones? Or, better yet, how do you FIND the good ones? <p>Have a good day yall.
Old 07-06-2000, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you will find that they have as much turn over as the rest of us. No one will ever do as good of a job as we the owners do. we have a vested intrest, they just are seeing a paycheck. Incentives are good, so is a structured bonus plan. that way they have a reason to do a good job.<br>Also some people are just losers, they will never have a good work ethic, and they will never grow up.<br>Sometimes I am happy that they just show up.<br>Dino <br>
Old 07-07-2000, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good point dont hire a looser. You have to be the judge of a good character. Screen a lot of poeple if you have the time. Good help is a blessing. When you find them its like finding gold.
Old 07-07-2000, 10:46 AM
bill phagan

Joe, if it weren't for employees, I'd still be in the profession. Had a 40 man operation. Went thru 400 employees my last year in biz. Too many disappointments, theft, attempts at intimidation, no shows, jumping off the trucks the first day b-4 they got to the job, walking off the jobs and leaving equipment, drugs,booze. You've got the good, the bad and the ugly. Just the nature of the beast. There are many things you can do...start by hiring the right? one from the getgo. Train them, have them sign your company policies, procedures, etc. Employees will always be a problem especially with such low unemployment. Hispanics and others are a great source for employees assuming you can habla which you can learn.
Old 07-07-2000, 11:54 AM

Hello Everybody:<p>There is no one good answer to the employment problem? I think it is mainly the way they are treated of course money has a little to do with it too.<p>Yes Hispanics are hard workers, but you need to remember a few things. You are helping them save money, to compete against you.<p>Yes, the others do it too, if they decide to compete against you not just the Hispanics. Please don't get me wrong?<p>The problem is when they go into business for themselves, the people that give you work also know that in a lot of cases they will work for less?<p>I've Been There, Done That & Most of all Seen That!!!!!<p>Here where I live now 2 came here several years ago working for some large Apartment Complexes?<p>Then they went into business for them selves & I have nothing against that at all. But the Managers & Owners are flocking to these guys. <p>It's to the point they are telling them what they will pay & these guys are going for it.<p>More & more are working for them now. They are hurting the Pros out there & they are having the work handed to them. Yes they are working for a lot less. Then when the Pro goes into bid, they get laughed at.<p>There are good people out there. There is a lot of people now in the Green Industry mainly the Trade Mags that are pushing this. <p>Hire the Hispanics, The American worker is not putting out the work, they are lazy? That's the message I get & it's very wrong!<p>It upsets me when they talk the negative talk they do about the American Work Force.<p>We at one time was part of the American Work Force? I'm not lazy, I don't cut grass anymore but I work very long & hard hours.<p>There are plenty of people working for a little of nothing & getting treated like DOGS?<p>Look hard & treat them right. That's what counts!!!!!<p>I only had a 6 man operation, but I had very few employee problems. In 3 years I went through about 20. I treated them, the way I wanted to be treated. They worked hard & mainly they enjoyeed working for me!!!!!<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
Old 07-07-2000, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think the thing I hated the most was when a customer, (NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I INSTRUCTED HIM/HER NOT TO!!)decides they are going to just give the check or cash for the week or month to my &quot;partner&quot;. I asked a customer that usually pays cash very timely, what was going on after I waited a month for the money and she said I gave it to your partner. But I don't have a partner I replied!! This was a whole nother story, but........even if the money did reach me like it was supposed to, I wouldn't have wanted him to see the check. <p>Heres a tip I'll give any of you new guys that are thinking about employees: Don't discuss how much your getting paid on a job/ making with your employees. The minute you do you can see shiny dollar signs in their eyes and they always think they should be getting more of it! Or they get the idea that &quot;its that easy&quot; when they don't know the half of it and try to venture off on their own (and fail shortly down the road). Someone else had a post about this too a couple of weks ago, but when they do decide that they can quit working for you and stat their own company they start scoping out your clients, maybe even on your time!! Just a heads up and something to keep an eye out for.<p><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti