Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-03-2011, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A little VTS video

Heres a video of me struggling by myself to get my VTS off. My video production is aweful so you dont need to tell me. Had intended to do a time lapse of removal of both sides but after struggling with the first side I decided probably not.

enjoy
http://youtu.be/fOHU0rmm7hc
Old 12-03-2011, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How long did you spend on taking off the VTS? I just took mine off this morning, had about hour and half but was very leisurely. I used a pallet jack and it went awesome. We will see in the spring how it is to put the VTS on...
Old 12-03-2011, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
How long did you spend on taking off the VTS? I just took mine off this morning, had about hour and half but was very leisurely. I used a pallet jack and it went awesome. We will see in the spring how it is to put the VTS on...
Total for both sides was about an hour. The hardest part I find is getting the lugs off. The mud gets caked in the threads. I pressure wash a ahead of time and blow off with air and lube with WD-40 but still they are slow to come off with the crap in the threads.

Never thought about a pallet jack. Have always had a mini since I have had the VTS so always used that. Either way it is easier with two people but I usually put on and take off by myself. I did it on Thanksgiving nothing better to do and thought I was done with tracks for the year.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUSWEDE View Post
Total for both sides was about an hour. The hardest part I find is getting the lugs off. The mud gets caked in the threads. I pressure wash a ahead of time and blow off with air and lube with WD-40 but still they are slow to come off with the crap in the threads.

Never thought about a pallet jack. Have always had a mini since I have had the VTS so always used that. Either way it is easier with two people but I usually put on and take off by myself. I did it on Thanksgiving nothing better to do and thought I was done with tracks for the year.
Yeah, the worst part was getting all the dirt out. I had it real clean but then did some stuff and had to scrape out almost every lug nut.

I found the pallet jack idea from PlowSite. I need to get a better jack, the front of the skid is easy but the back is a little heavy.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Yeah, the worst part was getting all the dirt out. I had it real clean but then did some stuff and had to scrape out almost every lug nut.

I found the pallet jack idea from PlowSite. I need to get a better jack, the front of the skid is easy but the back is a little heavy.
I have a 3 ton jack in the back and a 2 ton bottle jack in the front from my F550
Old 12-03-2011, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I use two 4 ton jacks one in the front and one in the back with jack stands just use the jack to adjust the height. The easiest way I have found to put them on is to set the vts on wheel dollies slide it in and adjust the height of the machine with the jacks to the right height for them to slide on. Really fast now as I have done it enough times. The first few time took awhile to put on, but I would say it only takes about an hour to put both on now.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey I enjoyed the video and the music too. I put my VTS on when the weather gets muddy because I am looking for traction and flotation. Where we work my machine with tires and metal tracks sinks to the belly if I am not careful in the mud. We get a little snow each year but we are in the freeze/thaw daily zone. To raise my loader off the ground I use my rear stabilizer and then curl the forks or bucket down to get it off the ground. After taking off the tires I have to deal with the wheel spacers next. Thank goodness for air tools. I do take the time to torque the nuts on the VTS to the recommended lbs.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

Old 10-16-2012, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmtnboy View Post
I think it goes really easy doing it your way.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

whats the pallet jack way?