Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2011, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Riggle,

There is a big difference between FeHEDTA and Fe you will normally find in a granular formulation. Just because a foliar applied solution containing FeHEDTA has been shown to cause tissue necrosis in some plants doesn't mean all forms of applied iron will have the same effect. The distributor is either just ignorant or intentionally blowing smoke up the OP's ass ..... no surprise here.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Member

This is the fertilizer I was talking about:

http://www.kellysolutions.com/erenew...7_23_00_AM.pdf
Old 12-06-2011, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see any iron in the formulation listed. Plain or chelated. Usual dithiopyr is present; is it legal to use in your province?

Dithiopyr (Dimension) is a pre-emergent--weed preventer (mainly crabgrass), but it will not kill much that is already emerged above ground.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

22-0-10 85% UFLEXX + Iron

This is the "translation" of the label, the one shown before isn't the correct one, sorry!

My dealer said that product will act as a contact herbicide. Is it true? or at least half way true? lol

total (N)..................................................................................20.00
17.1% Stabilized Nitrogen
2.9% Nitrogen Nitric

Potassium (K2O).......................................................................10.00
Magnesium (Mg)........................................................................1.20
Sulfure (S)...............................................................................1.50
Iron........................................................................................4.48
4.48% Iron chelated

EDTA (ethylene diamine tetraacetic (chelated agent))......................23.0

Ingredients Urexx, DCD (dicyandiamide, N-(n-butyl)-thiophosphoric triamide, Nitrate potassium, Sulfate de magnesium, Iron EDTA.

Last edited by I_am_a_beginner; 12-06-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_a_beginner View Post
22-0-10 85% UFLEXX + Iron

This is the "translation" of the label, the one shown before isn't the correct one, sorry!

My dealer said that product will act as a contact herbicide. Is it true? or at least half way true? lol

total (N)..................................................................................20.00
17.1% Stabilized Nitrogen
2.9% Nitrogen Nitric

Potassium (K2O).......................................................................10.00
Magnesium (Mg)........................................................................1.20
Sulfure (S)...............................................................................1.50
Iron........................................................................................4.48
4.48% Iron chelated

EDTA (ethylene diamine tetraacetic (chelated agent))......................23.0

Ingredients Urexx, DCD (dicyandiamide, N-(n-butyl)-thiophosphoric triamide, Nitrate potassium, Sulfate de magnesium, Iron EDTA.
I fail to see how a granular product can serve as a contact herbicide. All the information I have seen on using chelated metals as a burn down herbicide has been with regard to spray applications. Unless you are raising plant available iron in the soil to toxic levels, I wouldn't bet on this product working as an herbicide.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Its a granular but soluble fertilizer. Its is going to be a liquid fertilizer.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Its a granular but soluble fertilizer. Its is going to be a liquid fertilizer.
If you are applying it as a liquid at rates/recommendations that are similar to what is used with Fiesta then you might see some control (not all chelators are equal). This DOES NOT mean you can use the application instructions/rates from Fiesta with your fertilizer. That should go without saying, but given you are a beginner it doesn't hurt to point out the obvious.

BTW, next time you post a question you might try getting the details correct and include all the pertinent information in your initial post.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input kiril.

Do you think I should combine this fertilizer with a herbicide or does this fertilizer will be good enough to fertilize and "weed kill"? Would it be good to combine it with fiesta spot spraying?

Otherwise, would you combine my 22-0-10 fertilizer with one of the following herbicide:

-Acclaim Super
-Dimension
-Glyfos (Round-Up)
-Vanquish (Dicamba)
-Fiesta
-Organo-Sol
-Top Gun

Thanks in advance
Old 12-07-2011, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Apply fertilizer at the rates required to meet your management goals. The appropriate fertilizer and rates to use are determined via a soil test and knowledge of the site and plant requirements, not a distributors "recommendation".

Do not tank mix herbicides & fertilizers without researching the potential reactions between the two and/or in a manner that is inconsistent with label directions. IMO, both fertilizers and pesticides should only be used when a need has been established, not because it is what everyone else does or because it is easier. Always look for alternatives to chemical applications (ferts or pesticides) and use those alternatives whenever possible.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You forgot to mention and obviously didn't notice the dithiopyr herbicide on the label. I'm reading all your posts and think you are making a huge mistake considering doing applications to any property but your own. Did you just fill a hat with industries to start a business in, reach in blind folded and pull out lawn care?

Quote:
Thanks for the input kiril.

Do you think I should combine this fertilizer with a herbicide or does this fertilizer will be good enough to fertilize and "weed kill"? Would it be good to combine it with fiesta spot spraying?

Otherwise, would you combine my 22-0-10 fertilizer with one of the following herbicide:

-Acclaim Super
-Dimension
-Glyfos (Round-Up)
-Vanquish (Dicamba)
-Fiesta
-Organo-Sol
-Top Gun

Thanks in advance
Posted via Mobile Device