Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2011, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
Wow, that is a rare machine to see in operating condition. You have one of probably only 15 or 20 still in existance. I think they only sold a few dozen, before canning the production and buying back any unsold machines from dealers.
I had one. Cut great when it worked. It just spent more time in the shop then out on the job.
Engine locked up and had to sell it for $500. It did good work.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
Wow, that is a rare machine to see in operating condition. You have one of probably only 15 or 20 still in existance. I think they only sold a few dozen, before canning the production and buying back any unsold machines from dealers.
Actually theres quite a few out there. The dealer that I got this from (used) sold dozens of them.
I paid 2700 for it...is that a good deal? 400 hrs.
mike
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah, theres alot of scag cougars still around alright, I see them at traffic lights, cell phones and lipstick.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomer View Post
yeah, theres alot of scag cougars still around alright, I see them at traffic lights, cell phones and lipstick.
What did we do to deserve this.

Any more jokes like this and I'll take two in the cap.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC LAWN CARE View Post
How many Hrs on yours?
Mine needed a little work. Changed the hydro fluid and filter...pulls really bad to the right...hoping for the best! Anything I should check or do?
I've greased everything on it...changed oil etc. I was surprised that blower fan needs to be greased every 8 hrs. You were right though that drive shaft is a pain to grease.
Hour meter broke on mine but probably over 2000 I bought if from TruGreen who was testing it for the company. Does you unit pull even in the reverse direction going up the ramp? If so then you like got a problem in the linkage that is sticking. Sitting for a long time might cause that.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Almost every mower manufacturer, no matter how good they are, have a few engineering disasters now and then. For Scag, the poorly thoughtout designs and lack of complete field testing of the Cougar and Turf Runner machines, was their biggest goof up to date. It is no telling how much these two machines cost the company in warranty costs and unrecovered engineering and production costs.
The problems of these two machines were well documented "way back when" on this forum, as well as other places.
It will likely be a long time, if ever, before Scag tries their hand at another Walker wannabe.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Hour meter broke on mine but probably over 2000 I bought if from TruGreen who was testing it for the company. Does you unit pull even in the reverse direction going up the ramp? If so then you like got a problem in the linkage that is sticking. Sitting for a long time might cause that.
Need to check that...good question! Which linkage do I need to check? The thing of it is that as soon as I changed the fluid it went away...about 30 minutes of running later it started pulling again.
mike
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC LAWN CARE View Post
Need to check that...good question! Which linkage do I need to check? The thing of it is that as soon as I changed the fluid it went away...about 30 minutes of running later it started pulling again.
mike
Tracking Adjustments for Scag Cougar
Pages 23-25 http://www.scag.com/OpManuals/SCR/20...ANcomplete.pdf
Old 12-07-2011, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArenaLandscaping View Post
Tracking Adjustments for Scag Cougar
Pages 23-25 http://www.scag.com/OpManuals/SCR/20...ANcomplete.pdf
Thats what i figured...thanks!
Mike
Old 12-07-2011, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When you pull back on the hydro lever that is a direct linkage so there isn't any binding. However when you slide the speed control forward those levers are spring load loaded forward so if something is keeping them from rotating that would be a problem. I guess you checked the bleeders. Did you jack the unit up and run it for a pretty long time to get all the air out? I would guess those hydro or drive motor is having a problem adjusting to the running after sitting for such a long time.