Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2011, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Backup mowers...

I have gone this whole season with only my 52 Lazer and a 36 JD walk behind. I began to fear as the season grew that if the 52 went down that i would not be able to get all of my accounts done. Seeing as its now the end of the mowing season(atleast around here), i could probably find some good deals on Craigslist. My question to you all is, Do i buy another Z or should i find a Walk behind in the same size. The second 52 can also help me on a few properties so it wouldnt sit all year. I figure that there are pros and cons to both. Let me know what you guys think.

Rob
Old 12-06-2011, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't buy a mower for backup purposes in your case. I would wait until your lazer breaks down and then play it by ear and figure out how long it will take to fix and see if you can get by without it by using your 36 and a sulky or even renting a ztr from the closest dealer for a day or 2 if you have to. If it's going to be a while before the lazer gets fixed maybe then buy a new mower and then the new mower becomes your main mower and the old lazer becomes the back up or sell the old lazer. That's just what I'd do but I'm sure others have good ideas too
Old 12-06-2011, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not a belt drive 48" walk behind? They are cheap and everywhere.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

once i bought my new 61" vride my 48'' WB which was my main mower became my backup. i still use it on smaller properties once in a while. also if my vride goes into the shop they will give me a loaner untill its fixed so i dont really need to worry about a backup
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 12-06-2011, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-ville native View Post
I wouldn't buy a mower for backup purposes in your case. I would wait until your lazer breaks down and then play it by ear and figure out how long it will take to fix and see if you can get by without it by using your 36 and a sulky or even renting a ztr from the closest dealer for a day or 2 if you have to. If it's going to be a while before the lazer gets fixed maybe then buy a new mower and then the new mower becomes your main mower and the old lazer becomes the back up or sell the old lazer. That's just what I'd do but I'm sure others have good ideas too
The thing is i am pretty jammed packed with gettign everything done just on time. plus if there is only one mower than either me or my partner will not be doing anything productive while mowing bigger properties with the 36. I am just worried about getting backed up especially when one of the dealers is hardly ever open, and the other one is so packed with other machines and everything else because the other dealer isnt open. Could be up to a week before they even look at the mower. Thanks for the idea though!!!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
Why not a belt drive 48" walk behind? They are cheap and everywhere.
Belt drives are almost non existant in CT. the 48 and 52 hydros are also basically the same price on average used too. so might as well get that 4" haha
Old 12-06-2011, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHL GUY View Post
once i bought my new 61" vride my 48'' WB which was my main mower became my backup. i still use it on smaller properties once in a while. also if my vride goes into the shop they will give me a loaner untill its fixed so i dont really need to worry about a backup
As much as i would love to buy a new Z and make the current one a backup, its just not in my budget right now. on a side note where did you buy your V-ride? and mind telling me what you paid? thanks
Old 12-06-2011, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'd get a 52" WB or Stand On. That way the stripes will match up so you can use them interchangeably.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 12-07-2011, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I recommend getting a used Zero Turn for a back up. That's what I did this summer. I got a good deal on a Ferris IS3000 (used). It had 425 hours on it when I bought it. It saves me so much time on mowing with the 61 inch deck that it is now my main mower. I really like it. I haven't bought a piece of equipment yet that didn't make enough money to pay for itself.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
Belt drives are almost non existant in CT. the 48 and 52 hydros are also basically the same price on average used too. so might as well get that 4" haha
Where to you buy those special belts!

Tags
backup , lazer , mower