Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-07-2011, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
The thing is i am pretty jammed packed with gettign everything done just on time. plus if there is only one mower than either me or my partner will not be doing anything productive while mowing bigger properties with the 36. I am just worried about getting backed up especially when one of the dealers is hardly ever open, and the other one is so packed with other machines and everything else because the other dealer isnt open. Could be up to a week before they even look at the mower. Thanks for the idea though!!!
Which size would be more usefull for your properties and which wouldn't -
Old 12-07-2011, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Member

A used 48" walk behind is a perfect backup mower not to big, not to small!! They are cheap, belt driven or hydro. Here are some for sale in CT..... (click on CT) http://www.allofcraigs.com/2011/01/c...gion&sa=Search
Old 12-07-2011, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArenaLandscaping View Post
A used 48" walk behind is a perfect backup mower not to big, not to small!! They are cheap, belt driven or hydro. Here are some for sale in CT..... (click on CT) http://www.allofcraigs.com/2011/01/c...gion&sa=Search
Thanks for the link. I probably shouldnt have said they are non existant, i havent checked craigslist in a few weeks so my information could be totally wrong. And yes, im thinking a 48... but at this point im not gunna be too picky. if i can get either a 48 or 52 for the right price i will most certainly jump on it. Thanks

Rob
Old 12-07-2011, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph02813 View Post
Which size would be more usefull for your properties and which wouldn't -
i mean its only 4" they are pretty much identical in productivity. So i guess a 52??? im still thinking though
Old 12-07-2011, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
I'd get a 52" WB or Stand On. That way the stripes will match up so you can use them interchangeably.
Plus the WB could be used on wetter days where i dont want to rut and still be somewhat close in productivity
Old 12-07-2011, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
I have gone this whole season with only my 52 Lazer and a 36 JD walk behind. I began to fear as the season grew that if the 52 went down that i would not be able to get all of my accounts done. Seeing as its now the end of the mowing season(atleast around here), i could probably find some good deals on Craigslist. My question to you all is, Do i buy another Z or should i find a Walk behind in the same size. The second 52 can also help me on a few properties so it wouldnt sit all year. I figure that there are pros and cons to both. Let me know what you guys think.

Rob
We have back-ups that could sit all season, but have run into 2-situations this past season where we needed them. I probably wouldn't buy brand new, unless it's time to upgrade or trade-in.
04 Chevy 3500
04 F350 Diesel
3 60" Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48"
3 8'2" Boss V-Plows
Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
20' Enclosed trailer/16' Open trailer
18' Skid Loader Trailer
2012 S185 Bobcat 2-Speed

Old 12-08-2011, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Backup

I bought a used backup this year and used it a couple of times. The best thing that I found this year was a great mechanic that isn't associated with a dealer aand has his own shop. On blowers and trimmers he could usually fix them on the spot. My local dealer never gets anything done in less than a week.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I think it is wise having some sort of backup mower. Having to.scramble at the last second is too stressful. Last December I bought a. Quick 32 and 44 dually. My productivity jumped substantialy over running just a Quick 36 single. I have no plans to.sell the older 36 since it is now.my backup to both.the 32 and.44.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2011, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would Buy a backup I'd get a 52'' WB. because I believe in having a backup to as much stuff as I can because anytime something goes down it seems to take forever to get it fixed.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started this year with my 12 year old 60' exmark lazer and 2 48'' snapper walk behinds one of which is a back up now being that it is a '94. Well my lazer went down and being a solo operator now I tried my best
to keep up with my lawns with the 48 and just could not do the lawns and have any extra time for any other kind of work. My lazer needed to have engine torn down and rebuilt or new engine which I
did't wan't. So I bit the
bullet and bought a new zero and will rebuild my lazer engine over the winter myself.

60'' Gravely pro-turn 29 hp
60" Exmark lazar 23 hp
48" Snapper pro walk behind 14 hp kawasaki
21" Lawn boy
echo blower trimmers etc.
2005 Ford ranger v 6 4x4
Go O's
Go Raven's

Tags
backup , lazer , mower