Register free!

Old 12-07-2011, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Electrician in the Coral Gables & S. Miami area

I'm a Landscape Lighting Designer who works occasionally with a horticulture management firm based in Miami. The electrician we were working with has left the area. Can anyone recommend a licensed local electrician who understands and respects low-voltage lighting installation?

Thanks for your help,
Tom Williams
www.WLLD.us
Old 12-08-2011, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tom

In Florida low voltage installs DO NOT require a Licensed Electrician. The 110 outlet for the transformer must be installed by a Licensed Electrician. Same rule applies for Low voltage Irrigation solenoids etc.

I am not sure if you are advertising for a Licensed Electrician or just an experienced electrician?? My experience is 99% of the time there are several 110 outlet available for the Lighting Timer/Transformer. To me the hardest part of installing Out Door lighting is taking the time to water proof all connection. I normally just wrap them with Electrical tape and paint them heavy with PVC glue. That has worked for me for many years of Irrigation Installs. Yes I have done Lighting also but I am not in the Greater Miami area.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

Tom

In Florida low voltage installs DO NOT require a Licensed Electrician. The 110 outlet for the transformer must be installed by a Licensed Electrician. Same rule applies for Low voltage Irrigation solenoids etc.

I am not sure if you are advertising for a Licensed Electrician or just an experienced electrician?? My experience is 99% of the time there are several 110 outlet available for the Lighting Timer/Transformer. To me the hardest part of installing Out Door lighting is taking the time to water proof all connection. I normally just wrap them with Electrical tape and paint them heavy with PVC glue. That has worked for me for many years of Irrigation Installs. Yes I have done Lighting also but I am not in the Greater Miami area.

RIC, so you're guilty of working without a license...
You can get away with a Certified Limited Energy System
Specialty
http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr...lectrical.html
Old 12-09-2011, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
RIC, so you're guilty of working without a license...
You can get away with a Certified Limited Energy System
Specialty
http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr...lectrical.html
Unknown

I guess you caught me. But The last time I installed a landscape lighting system was 2004 before the hurricanes blew away my nursery. Since that time I have only done Pesticide work as a one man band.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.