Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2014, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

That time of year for weird estimates

Here in Oklahoma, our latest round of snow was melting today and we had a chance of rain today. So I ran a couple of estimates today.

1. Just short of acre, 7 miles from town on dead end road. Broken up with islands and hills. It would be all hose, no ride-on and would have to re-position the truck at least once. I give my price and he says that is twice as much as he paid before.

2. Go to neighbor, similar size but not hilly or broke up. Same price and the guy says "I new you'd be little higher, but I want my yard to look like the ones you spray in town. So do your thing."

3. 13,000 sq ft front only, 4 min from my house. I give quote and he looks shocked. He says he was paying $120 x 7 apps on non irrigated bermuda. I left money on the table there, but priced it for my program, not someone elses.

like I said, prices and expectations are all over the place this time of year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2014, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherOkie View Post
Here in Oklahoma, our latest round of snow was melting today and we had a chance of rain today. So I ran a couple of estimates today.

1. Just short of acre, 7 miles from town on dead end road. Broken up with islands and hills. It would be all hose, no ride-on and would have to re-position the truck at least once. I give my price and he says that is twice as much as he paid before.

2. Go to neighbor, similar size but not hilly or broke up. Same price and the guy says "I new you'd be little higher, but I want my yard to look like the ones you spray in town. So do your thing."

3. 13,000 sq ft front only, 4 min from my house. I give quote and he looks shocked. He says he was paying $120 x 7 apps on non irrigated bermuda. I left money on the table there, but priced it for my program, not someone elses.

Posted via Mobile Device
Edit "knew" for "new"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-05-2014, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherOkie View Post

Posted via Mobile Device

It sure is nice when your reputation precedes you.

By the price sheet for the most part. That's how I handle it too.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Why is smaller lawn higher? I mean it might take you 3X as long, but it is less grass.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
Why is smaller lawn higher? I mean it might take you 3X as long, but it is less grass.
Number 1 and 2 were priced the same and comparable square feet. Customer 1 wanted to pay half and customer 2 was perfectly fine with it. Both owned 120 to 240 acres
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2014, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

That was a failed attempt at trying to be funny.
You are a pretty nice guy if you priced them the same. I just love how some people have a place that is going to take 3X as long as their neighbors place that is larger, but wonder why I price theirs higher. Say 7.50 per K as opposed to 6.50 per K.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2014, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
That was a failed attempt at trying to be funny.
You are a pretty nice guy if you priced them the same. I just love how some people have a place that is going to take 3X as long as their neighbors place that is larger, but wonder why I price theirs higher. Say 7.50 per K as opposed to 6.50 per K.
Posted via Mobile Device
I got you. Very true. I really thought I was right on or a little low. I was shooting for a little low and permission to fish in 32 acre pond. Oh well. Guess not
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2014, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

32 acre stock tank huh

Now you done changed everything lol. If that tank has bass, crappie and some big red ear then it would be a heck of a discount or possibly a free treatment or two. Only thing better would be if they had a cabin at the Lower Mountain Fork/ Beavers Bend.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2014, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The best one yet for me was a lady who called up and wanted an estimate but refused to give her address, she did ask for my address though! hmm.. She mentioned the neighborhood and i was familiar with it, and she also said she wanted front and sides only. So i gave her a ball park number with my minimum price, which is very reasonable. She was saying one of the larger companies would do it for $24.00 per treatment. Theres no way i would do that. She was very concerned with having a good job done, and i talked to her into $35 per app but i would have to see it first. She calls back 2 days later and makes an appt. for saturday. Cancels the appt. 2 days later because she is not ready yet. Still trying to figure out how to tell her i won't service her property when and if she calls back. Hopefully she doesn't.

Servicing Dallas, Acworth, Kennesaw, & Woodstock, Ga
Old 03-06-2014, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

[QUOTE=inzane;4976885]The best one yet for me was a lady who called up and wanted an estimate but refused to give her address, she did ask for my address though! hmm.. She mentioned the neighborhood and i was familiar with it, and she also said she wanted front and sides only. So i gave her a ball park number with my minimum price, which is very reasonable. She was saying one of the larger companies would do it for $24.00 per treatment. Theres no way i would do that. She was very concerned with having a good job done, and i talked to her into $35 per app but i would have to see it first. She calls back 2 days later and makes an appt. for saturday. Cancels the appt. 2 days later because she is not ready yet. Still trying to figure out how to tell her i won't service her property when and if she calls back. Hopefully she doesn't.[/QUOTE

Now I don't feel so alone...There's "Flakes" in your area too