Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-07-2011, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Average Income

Hello, I really enjoy lawn care/landscaping work. I am trying to get a business going. I was just wondering what you all thought on starting in this economy? Also i plan on getting it to be full time career. I have a few residential property's i mow for already. How much am i looking at making a year living in Wisconsin? I would like to get somewhere around 40-50 grand a year is that possible in this industry? (in at least 5 years time). I was thinking about going to a community college for some skilled trade (horticulture & landscaping, or something like welding, carpenter etc.. I thought at least if i had some kind of associate degree in landscaping i could try to get a job at a big local landscaping company, if things don't work out.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2011, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Osmann,

Lawn Care or Landscaping is an essential services industry-as long as there are people who are unable or do not want to take care of their own property there will be a market for LCOs. I don't know about your area, but in mine the current barrier to growth is not a lack of paying customers, but an influx of unemployed, illegal, or other small LCOs who do not pay taxes or pay for licenses or insurance and can therefore afford to scrape by charging rock-bottom prices. These oft disparaged "lowballers" have the effect of diluting prices and siphoning customers.

You can get a rough projection of your take-home profit by multiplying the average price per lawn you expect to charge by your anticipated number of customers. Multiply that by the number of service visits you expect for year. This will give you your projected gross. Divide that by three to give a rough estimation of operating profit. Subtract the cost of fixed assets to give you pre-tax net profit. Multiply that by .8 or maybe .75 to account for taxes and you have your take home profit. In other words, to bring home $50,000 you will need to gross about $180,000. In my area that means about 200-250 customers.*

I know many people who make more than that each year but many others who make far less. The key is analyzing your particular market and climate and finding a niche that can separate you from likely boundless competition and then following through by providing great customer service and doing quality work.

Good Luck

*This is a rough formula based on my own and my friends' experiences. It assumes a .3 profit margin and no income from additional services (hedges, landscaping, etc...)
Old 12-09-2011, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks. I HATE factory/warehouse work & that's what i am doing now for a full time job. I love lawn care/landscaping. Just want to hear what people make yearly & # of accounts. I am thinking about going to a 2 year tech school for Horticulture/landscaping & design at MATC. How much do you all charge per lawn residential?
Old 12-09-2011, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How the hell do you get that many weekly accounts?
Old 12-09-2011, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its all about how hard you want to work how much you charge an hour and how many people you have working for you.

60'' Gravely pro-turn 29 hp
60" Exmark lazar 23 hp
48" Snapper pro walk behind 14 hp kawasaki
21" Lawn boy
echo blower trimmers etc.
2005 Ford ranger v 6 4x4
Go O's
Go Raven's
Old 12-10-2011, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc000 View Post
Osmann,

Lawn Care or Landscaping is an essential services industry-as long as there are people who are unable or do not want to take care of their own property there will be a market for LCOs. I don't know about your area, but in mine the current barrier to growth is not a lack of paying customers, but an influx of unemployed, illegal, or other small LCOs who do not pay taxes or pay for licenses or insurance and can therefore afford to scrape by charging rock-bottom prices. These oft disparaged "lowballers" have the effect of diluting prices and siphoning customers.

You can get a rough projection of your take-home profit by multiplying the average price per lawn you expect to charge by your anticipated number of customers. Multiply that by the number of service visits you expect for year. This will give you your projected gross. Divide that by three to give a rough estimation of operating profit. Subtract the cost of fixed assets to give you pre-tax net profit. Multiply that by .8 or maybe .75 to account for taxes and you have your take home profit. In other words, to bring home $50,000 you will need to gross about $180,000. In my area that means about 200-250 customers.*

I know many people who make more than that each year but many others who make far less. The key is analyzing your particular market and climate and finding a niche that can separate you from likely boundless competition and then following through by providing great customer service and doing quality work.

Good Luck

*This is a rough formula based on my own and my friends' experiences. It assumes a .3 profit margin and no income from additional services (hedges, landscaping, etc...)
Yep that's about right. I hope everyone who thinks about starting reads this and realizes what most really make doing this for a living.

Dave...
Old 12-10-2011, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmann_lawn View Post
How the hell do you get that many weekly accounts?
2 ways. Lots of money advertising and low prices.

Dave...
Old 12-10-2011, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmann_lawn View Post
Hello, I really enjoy lawn care/landscaping work. I am trying to get a business going. I was just wondering what you all thought on starting in this economy? Also i plan on getting it to be full time career. I have a few residential property's i mow for already. How much am i looking at making a year living in Wisconsin? I would like to get somewhere around 40-50 grand a year is that possible in this industry? (in at least 5 years time). I was thinking about going to a community college for some skilled trade (horticulture & landscaping, or something like welding, carpenter etc.. I thought at least if i had some kind of associate degree in landscaping i could try to get a job at a big local landscaping company, if things don't work out.

Thanks
Hmmm, Check your local university for maybe a master gardener certification, also check professional associations in your area, join and read.

It really depends on you area and how you want to focus your business as to how many clients you need and what your price point should be. You need to determine what your margins needs to be.
You say you have a few clients now ask yourself:
1.) Are these they type of clients I want and why.
2.) How much do you charge them?
3.) How much goes in your pocket, and how much pays for all your gear and supplies, insurance, permits and license, etc.
4.) divide your profit into $50k that will tell you how many customers you will need.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Nobody gets hundreds of customers overnight. You have to advertise to get your name out there, build a reputation by doing quality work and network with potential clients or other people who can help you get clients. Look at every job as an opportunity to sell yourself and your business.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys for all the helpful info. I absolutely hate my temporary warehouse job. Never get time to see family & friends, witch are the most important things in life. That is one reason among many others i want to start my own lawn care business. After talking it over with my mom and dad they both thought it would be a good idea to go back to school. So i was looking around and found some community colleges that offer landscape/horticulture programs. I thought it would be a real good idea to get some type of education just in case i cant make it on my own i could work for a different company.

I have bought some postcards, flyers & door hangers. When do you think i should start handing them out? I live in South Eastern Wisconsin.