Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-15-2011, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph02813 View Post
A couple of notes, I hope you are talking net dollars (after all business expenses and taxes) when your talking $30k, its hard to question how much someone needs because it all location location - here in Southern New England - health insurance for a single person can be had for around $5k, a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment/with utiliities $10k if your not picky cell, internet/tv and groceries and a 6 pack of Black Label Kingers $5k and then $4k That leaves you about $6 a year to enjoy the fruits of you labor.

A note about the Wallstreet occupiers - do you understand that the same thing is going on in countries around the globe - whether someone went or is going to college there are no jobs - others on the site have talked about the rediculous prices some low ballers are charging to mow grass - personally, I lost 2 customers, (I am not sad about it, they where pains) they were every other week cuts, I was charging $40 a cut the new guy, does it every week for $20, and only when they call - there are no jobs -think about it some of the occupier used to pay to have their yard done!
So in other words, not a good time to put yourself in debt...

My comment about 'Occupiers' speak to the character issue... In a competitive job market it is good to loose the 'entitlement' attitude...
Old 12-15-2011, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

No I don't feel sorry for the Occupiers at all they made their beds or sleeping bags as the case may be. It's astro turfing or in other words its a fake movement. Their masters are the Dem party and so they chant and attack wall street rather the the Federal government that forced banks to invent ways to loan too people that couldn't pay it back as part of it's social engineering. Is it really surprising that the banks came up with a way to sell off the crap and it was crap. They had a way to temporary fix credit scores so they could ram bad loans through then they would package them up in 15 million dollar lots and sell them off. What the Occupiers don't get was it was designed to fail and it failed precisely when they timed it too to effect the 08 presidential campaign.

So if you wish to feel sorry for them that's your call as they never should of been allowed to Occupy anything but the left was so desperate for its own tea party they allowed this to happen. Now you got a new mini version of the 60s but in truth had there been proper leadership then the 60s wouldn't of happened either.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
No I don't feel sorry for the Occupiers at all they made their beds or sleeping bags as the case may be. It's astro turfing or in other words its a fake movement. Their masters are the Dem party and so they chant and attack wall street rather the the Federal government that forced banks to invent ways to loan too people that couldn't pay it back as part of it's social engineering. Is it really surprising that the banks came up with a way to sell off the crap and it was crap. They had a way to temporary fix credit scores so they could ram bad loans through then they would package them up in 15 million dollar lots and sell them off. What the Occupiers don't get was it was designed to fail and it failed precisely when they timed it too to effect the 08 presidential campaign.

So if you wish to feel sorry for them that's your call as they never should of been allowed to Occupy anything but the left was so desperate for its own tea party they allowed this to happen. Now you got a new mini version of the 60s but in truth had there been proper leadership then the 60s wouldn't of happened either.
I tend to agree it was a staged event and many people confessed to being paid to go there and add to the crowd.
My main point though, is that when you need something it is time to Hustle, not Whine...
Old 12-15-2011, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

LOL! so the question is there still money to be made in the lawn care/landscaping industry?
Old 12-15-2011, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

and yes i meant 30,000 NET pay. That would be enough for a single guy living at home for a while

How many lawns would be considered full time?

How many times do you mow in Wisconsin?

Than i could figure out how many accounts i would need.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

hehehehe sorry about that i guess I do owe you real answer now.

I run a 4 man company sometimes we throw in a 5th part timer. 2 owners we each get salaries and then the guys are hourly. We do close to 200 lawns and bring in about 225k this year. The pay roll will be over 100k then there are costs rent truck payments fuel you name it its close to 100k there. But where it works out figure about 30k is mine PLUS 4 vehicles completely paid for all insurance fuel and repairs and taxes. Cell phone that's about a 800-1000 a year perk as well. And the rent is on land I own so that's another 15k or so a year perk. So is there money at first glance no but when you take into effect the perks you will get as an owner and we didn't even touch on profits. Then the full package is worth about 50-60k a year. I tell you this though I am banking over 20k a year in savings not many working stiffs can say that.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

oh wow that is really good for savings! that's pretty good congrats! Do you still pick up new accounts every year? or do you focus more on the landscaping?
Old 12-15-2011, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Break down would be about 140k in mowing 40k in spring and fall clean ups 25k in fertilizer lime work. Then about 10k in shrub and hedge trimming then the rest is mulch and seeding work and perhaps an odd brush job or a fallen tree on one of our accounts. Yes we do look for new accounts each year in fact this year we had fewer then last year but took in a little more. When you start talking 190 plus accounts even a 10% attrition loss is about 20 accounts and I lost 8 in a period of 6 weeks this summer. All were on the market for months to as much as 2 years and they all sold at once. That stung a bit and while was expected it wasn't suppose to happen that fast.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much do you charge for the smallest lawns you do? Sorry to hear you lost accounts.. Why did they decide they did not want your services? Do you mow a lot of commercial property? I'm just going to get started with residential, worry about commercial once i get going! I want to go to school to get a 2 year associate degree in horticulture/landscaping Do you think that would help?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Most commercials are about the same size as the residentials I take what comes my way but were about 95% residential. As for why people decide to drop you who knows it's part of the game I seldom remember their names 2 months later. I never forget a property though I can remember places I did one time estimates for 10 years ago and the prices I asked for and why and weather I liked the owners or not. As for the degree it won't hurt but how much use you get out of it is up to you and what you decide you want to specialize in. As for lawn cut prices with the exception of a few old grandfathered accounts our prices are normally 25-35 per cut but as much as 147.50 and we have a lot at 50 and above. Don't get hung up on prices some of my least profitable lawns have been some of my highest price lawns and vice verse.