Register free!

Old 12-08-2011, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

New label for Simazine!

I just got this email from my JDL Rep. Not good news guys...
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2011, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

hmmm. wonder about the replacement? Haven't heard this, but i'm always the last to know. Does this mean simazine is off the market or are they just reformulating it to a wettable? Wonder if we need to stock up. This was a stable in my last round of the year.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure about replacement to 90DF. If you want to use it you have to have the old label. Atrazine might be the replacement.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Simazine will not be off the market, but it will be hard to use in a LCO operation, considering wind speed an water setbacks.

The label is also not new -- it was changed back in 2008 to comply with restrictions that the EPA put on all triazine herbicides, like simazine and atrazine.

The EPA usually allows manufacturers to sell their existing product runs made before the changes until they're gone. Your notice from JDL only tells you that very little or no old label products left, meaning that only new label product will be available.

This is not new -- it was announced in 2008.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just talked to my dealer from United Suppliers. He told me that Simizine 4L was in short supply but as for them it was just for this winter. He has not received anything telling him that it is being replaced. He has plenty and if it is going to be replaced he would let me know and save enough for me for next year.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Agrium rep said Syngenta's Princep (simizine) will stay on market. JDL branch told me they (simizine) generics will not be produced any longer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2011, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe I'm missing something here. The notice didn't say that simazine is being pulled from the market, so I don't know why anyone's worried about that.

BUT, the notice does say that the rules for using it have changed, including that simazine may not be applied within 66 feet of where water may enter perennial or intermittent streams, simazine may not be applied within 200 feet of natural or impounded lakes or reservoirs, simazine may not be mixed or loaded within 50 feet of any well (in use or not), and (not mentioned in this notice) it may not be applied when wind speeds exceed 10 mph.

Our Dept. of Ag said that a ditch in the front lawn near the road is classified as an intermittent stream -- so, I can't spray simazine on most of the lawns in my neighborhood. Spraying any property within 200 feet of a pond is now gone, too. Then, the 10 mph wind speed limit -- 10 mph is barely enough to blow your hair out of place. AND, it doesn't matter if you're using a LCO gun (BIG droplets), a golf course sprayer (tiny droplets), or a shield on your backpack sprayer (totallyblocks the wind), you can't use it when it blows at 10 mph.

This looks like it could open us up to a lot of violations just by using it like we used last year, even though they weren't violations then.

Is this on anyone else's mind, or is it just me?