Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-10-2011, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Home owners know all. That would be my guess. I stopped wondering what they were thinking a long time ago.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2011, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellmeines View Post
I am looking at purchasing a walk behind that is smaller than my 52" stand on for the purpose of fitting into the gated backyards, push mowing these backyards is pretty much a waste of time. I am trying to find a walk behind that isn't really small but will still go through the gates. I have heard from some other people in the business that you can "hook" a medium to larger walk behind into gated backyards. I have been looking at the Toro 40" floating deck belt drive as an option, but wouldn't put a 48" Toro or Exmark Turf Tracer out of the picture if they will make it into gated yards.
48" is probably too close to 52". It would make more sense to replace the 52" with the 48" if it fit into gates the 52" doesn't. I have a 40" floater I got for the same reason you're considering it but rarely use it. Luckily most narrow-gated back yards here are small enough to use a 21". I realized over the years that it's rarely cost-effective to buy a gates-only machine unless you have a ton of them. This is my second one in two decades and neither has had much use. In some cases it might be better to just pass on those lawns or modify the gate and work that into the price.

But, as a backup to your regular machine it can make sense to keep one around. Doubly so if you can find a used one. I'd probably go 32" if you want to maximize the number of gates you can get through. It's always a tradeoff between productivity and the ability to enter more gated yards.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbonsballer10 View Post
I had the 40'' floating and you are absolutely correct. If you werent cutting just a little off the grass, it would clump up like a b**** due to the small 3 blade deck.
You can take the interior front baffle out and it helps a lot with that. It gives it a more open space to throw clippings much like the old 44" sfs decks.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

For residential the 36 is the way to go. I'm always amazed when I see guys with a rider and a push mower in a trailer. It makes me want to stop them and ask them what the hell they were thinking. With any any slopes or imperfections in many residential yards the 36' will do a much better job on the whole yard. The problem with a 32" is it comes with skinny tires but weighs almost the same as a 36 so rutting can be an issue.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-11-2011, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
For residential the 36 is the way to go. I'm always amazed when I see guys with a rider and a push mower in a trailer. It makes me want to stop them and ask them what the hell they were thinking. With any any slopes or imperfections in many residential yards the 36' will do a much better job on the whole yard. The problem with a 32" is it comes with skinny tires but weighs almost the same as a 36 so rutting can be an issue.
i don't seem to have any problem with hills and imperfections.

now if by rider you mean sit down rider i can't make an accurate statement because i only used a sit down ztr for a week cutting all my properties with it once while my mower was in the shop.

i use a 52" grandstand on all my properties. they are mostly 1/4 to 1/2 an acre in size. the only time the 36" gets pulled off the trailer is for the 2 gated backyards where the 52" won't fit.

i don't do commercial properties, all residential and i can't imagine only using a 36".
Old 12-11-2011, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Ya this mower will be my back up mower for my 52" which is why I wanted to lean towards the 40" toro. BrunoT, what year is your toro 40" wall behind. It's the turbo force deck?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2011, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
I agree, for the price difference, the little productivity difference and mostly the non wieght difference issue I would go with the 36 - for smaller size yards its the way to go up to 1/2 acre - this is a broad statement, everything make change if you consider access to the property and what you have to cut up to an around and how soft the ground is on a regular basis.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 40" and it doesn't clump? Also I was thinking of a 60" as my next mower why is a 52 the prefered larger size?

Last edited by cpllawncare; 12-11-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I have a 40" and it doesn't clump? Also I was thinking of a 60" as my next mower why is a 52 the prefered larger size?
From what others say is that even with new fences most gates these days being 5'/60". So the largest to go through is a 54" mower.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
From what others say is that even with new fences most gates these days being 5'/60". So the largest to go through is a 54" mower.
Never mind the gate issue I have a 40" for that problem, why is a 52 preferred over a 60 it seems the 60 would be more productive? Trailer space possibly?

Tags
backyard , gate , walk behind