Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-10-2011, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

To Patriot Services, most people are very happy when you do their projects, and they do not mind paying you for doing them. We have one we will finish tomorrow, 3 trees to do, a total of about 6 hours or so and 900. The reason we didn't finish today, the snow mother nature sent us the other day was melting like crazy and I got soaked, sun went down and I became an icicle. With the exception of the previous thread I have going, I have great people I deal with. Just like anything else, you will get the one who is just a boil that you can not get settled.

You can make good money, you just have to find the correct people. I am in the process of researching becoming part of Christmas Decor, as I want to make sure my clients have the best possible LED when we totally switch in the next year or to, and I need a few things that I am not sure they provide either. What I really need is marketing and sales training.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 12-11-2011, 03:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Two guys for one 16 man hour day alone should exceed $900. How much $$ product are the tightwads going to have filling up their garage?
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-11-2011, 06:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

1 48 MN Wreath with 18" bow
400 lf clear c-9
10 set ls series clear
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Old 12-11-2011, 06:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did the project only to have a strong presence in the neighborhood. Then of course there was the my boss wants to do xyz, and then I got the beating on the tree last year, stupid softy I am.

Then the project was supposed to be paparpit and shingle tabs, save time on the rehang and removal, then nope not allowing that, then the wreath had to be hung with vinyl dressed cable, then the additional outlets that we supposed to be installed never happened, so here i am putting this whole thing together and pulling 12.7 amps through one outlet.

Then the renewals all went out in September, email and snail mail, again in October, and final in the beginning of November. THen I get an email after they admit to finally getting the contract, they want a 2 year contract. Sure, they want a 2 year at the price they want to dictate. THen I get an email the other morning - keep in mind still no renewal, do you want us as a customer or not. Really, really, you have still yet to send me the renewal contract that you have had for how long, and you are going to try laying this on me????

SO then he tells me it will be sent in that morning, sure it was, with my price crossed out, theirs hand written in and then their initials. MY response, in the truck, to the shop, to their house, and then home. Guess they made the decision for me. Thankfully I talked to the guy that used to do their driveway when we were doing the neighbors house, and he warned me of this type of game.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Old 12-11-2011, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't even look back. These are not the kind of customers you want. It seems like you have already come to this conclusion anyway but as far as I'm concerned I would be done with them completely even if they wanted to pay the full price again.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

They could offer 10k and it would still be no. For me principal is huge, I operate on integrity, that's how I was raised.

Honestly while dealing with this I got to the point I didn't want to do any lighting anymore, just got fed up. After all was said and done, we started a rehang yesterday which I will finish this am, and found myself enjoying it again. 2 story house no bucket truck access, and really muddy due to having a new well put in last week, but still enjoyed it, even being soaked with the snow run off from the roof. LOL

The past few years i have really run in to some winners, try to help people out and you get scr$wed. THat happened 3 times last year, not any more.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Old 12-11-2011, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Oh. We all have them or have had them. I type this as i sit in a customers.living room waiting.for my guys to get here. sunday morning 730. The same house we had a full crew at on thanksgiving day. and not a thankyou yet. just more expectations....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2011, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I couldn't even imagine messing with lights up north. I'm from Maine but live in Texas now. I can easily imagine showing up in January and finding everything frozen solid, trying to dry everything out, trying to keep my storage boxes dry, and the joy of having to use bare hand with temps in the teens or worse.

I don't mind the cold when your dressed for skiing, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, ice hockey, or sledding down a monster hill. If you active and dressed with some Hot Chilies it doesn't matter if it's 0 F.

Here in the Austin area it's about 60 F today. Got to love it. I have a low tolerance for a-hole ball busting customers. No matter how many times you go the extra mile in good faith it's never going to be far enough. You'd love to tell them to go F themselves but you know you have to bite your tongue.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-11-2011, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, that is why I am grateful I was able to just drop the cases and wrath off and not deal with them, I do the neighbors house and we have been asked about other for next year.

The temp, yup it sucks!! Last year was just horrible. We didn't get out of the 20's most of the time we were installing and the wind was just relentless. I jad one day last year, I was installing 4 wreaths, 4's so no big deal, it took 8 hours. By the time they were in position my fingers felt like they wee going to explode, back to warm up, then up and fluff then back to warm up, then finally the bow. It was just horrible. That SOB neve rpaid until August, he;s another, no paper no work. His wreaths are in the trailer. Still havent heard back from him.

As of right now, we are done except for my house. Still mulling over what I want to do. Something different I have had blizzard LL for the past couple years, not a house that supports them well. Gonna do something w c-9 just not sure what yet.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Old 12-16-2011, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Member

We already had the local Starbucks on our lawn maintenance program and offered to do their install for FREE last year just to be used as advertising on our local restaurant row. We planned on using some left over links, garland and a wreath.......for FREE. When we talked to the owner we were told it wasn't in their budget. We again explain to the owner it would be done for FREE and again we were told it wasn't in their budget. ?????