Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-21-2011, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

i like the idea. dimmer switch is cool as is the changeable lenses.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NELS PETERSON View Post
I'm planning on ordering 54 for a project in the Keys this winter. Just what I wanted for Christmas
Great! I'll see you at the AOLP mtg. in Feb. We'll have the LED Tree Light by then.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking forward to both!

This appears like what Janet Lennox Moyer discussed here.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looking forward to seeing them both during the expo at the A.O.L.P. conference Steve
C.O.L.D. (Certified Outdoor Lighting Designer)#1112
C.L.V.L.T. (Certified Low Voltage Lighting Technician)#0639
Old 12-22-2011, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yee Haw, more cool stuff at the AOLP Expo!

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 12-22-2011, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I saw a sample working at night last week. A lot of other manufacturers have some serious catching up to do. The color and output are incredible, as well as the integrated LED module being field replaceable. No more thrown away fixtures. For everyone who knows what the figures actually mean, check out their spec sheet. Pretty impressive.

Scott Maloney
Sunflower Landscapes
Old 12-26-2011, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

very nice looking fixture. Love all the features. few questions-

any night time photos of this fixture in action side by side a traditional halogen 20 watt or 35 watt at 11.5 volts to compare?

I am sure this was discussed in a thread or several threads while I have been gone from the site, but Is L70 60,0000 hour rating the hour point where lumens drop below 70% of rating?

and I really do want to know, how does that rating come about? Is there some accelerated UL test? I know it would take about 7 years left on 24/7 to get to 60,000 hours, so I am guessing there must be some formula or test to arrive at that estimate.

finally, what warranty will cast provide with this fixture that I can pass on to my clients?
Old 12-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
very nice looking fixture. Love all the features. few questions-

any night time photos of this fixture in action side by side a traditional halogen 20 watt or 35 watt at 11.5 volts to compare?
Sorry, no comparison photos yet, but I was just at a test project and was very impressed with the color, brightness, and uniformity of beam. We illuminated the side of a three story house - it was beautiful!

Quote:
I am sure this was discussed in a thread or several threads while I have been gone from the site, but Is L70 60,0000 hour rating the hour point where lumens drop below 70% of rating?
Correct.

Quote:
and I really do want to know, how does that rating come about? Is there some accelerated UL test? I know it would take about 7 years left on 24/7 to get to 60,000 hours, so I am guessing there must be some formula or test to arrive at that estimate.
The IESNA LM-80 test for LED chips specifies that LED's need to be tested for a minimum of 6,000 hrs. L70 is then calculated by method TM-21. This method extrapolates the data to the L70 point. Since extrapolations have limited accuracy, LM-80 only allows claims of L70 up to 6 times the test length. So, a 6,000 hr. test can claim up to 36,000 hrs.; while a 10,000 hr. test can claim up to 60,000 hrs.

Note, however, as with our old incandescent life claims, the LM-80 test is conducted only on the chip (not in the fixture). There is no lifetime test for the complete LED-fixture combination. It is up to the fixture manufacturer to ensure a favorable environment for the LED. Excess temperature, poorly designed or damaged drivers, water damage - all these can reduce the actual life dramatically.

Quote:
finally, what warranty will cast provide with this fixture that I can pass on to my clients?
It's been a challenge to decide on a reasonable warranty. One of our competitors greatly inflated his. The industry standard for quality LED fixture or lamp warranties is 3 to 5 years. We set ours at 5, but have every reason to believe that our LED products will survive many times that number.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

5 years?

Really
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&MLL View Post
5 years?
Really
Posted via Mobile Device
A few things to understand about warranties.

1. It is often the case that warranties do not reflect the actual quality of the product. They are often used as a marketing ploy.

2. Look at the fine print in the warranties. Restricted to original owner? Purchase cost not fully refunded (time of use is deducted)? System must be registered with mfg. within a month? System must be composed entirely of the mfg. products? Any sign of moisture damage voids the warranty? Any evidence of over-voltage operation voids the warranty?

3. If company is sold or goes out of business, all warranties are void.

4. As I said, the industry standard for LED's is 3 to 5 years - similar to all electronic products. Warranties that go far beyond that have either limited their liability through the fine print, or they add dollars to the fixture price to pay for an extended warranty.

5. If you find a homeowner objecting to a 5-year warranty, explain these points, point out the quality and features of the product. No homeowner wants their fixtures to fail during the warranty period and go through the hassle and expense of hiring you to replace the product.

6. The best warranty is one you never have to use.