Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2011, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

How much lots can I do?

I am currently working full time. Trying to venture into the lawn care business how much lawns can a solo operator cut per week with my mentioned below equipment. I also intend to do some spraying. I already know I am mainly equipped for residential and some small businesses probably no more than 8-1000Sqft. Please help with realistic answers.

36" zero walk behind Bobcat.
Detachable: Edger, Trimmer, Blower
21 inch mower.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do one and time yourself.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebrowns View Post
I am currently working full time. Trying to venture into the lawn care business how much lawns can a solo operator cut per week with my mentioned below equipment. I also intend to do some spraying. I already know I am mainly equipped for residential and some small businesses probably no more than 8-1000Sqft. Please help with realistic answers.

36" zero walk behind Bobcat.
Detachable: Edger, Trimmer, Blower
21 inch mower.
Those lawn sizes are smaller then most row home/town home size lawns. What are you spraying. How many days/hours are you planing to work. Are you getting license and insurance. I could cut 20-30 town homes an 8 hr day with that equipment solo.

60'' Gravely pro-turn 29 hp
60" Exmark lazar 23 hp
48" Snapper pro walk behind 14 hp kawasaki
21" Lawn boy
echo blower trimmers etc.
2005 Ford ranger v 6 4x4
Go O's
Go Raven's
Old 12-11-2011, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

I am currently studying for the lawn applicator test. looking to take that test next month. Probably will be spraying the regular stuff people ask for around here like pre and post emergent and insect stuff. I am looking into getting insurances had a quote for about 250 for the year. All ready have a business license not a commercial applicator license. After work I am looking into doing maybe 3 hours per day Mon - Friday and 8 hrs Saturdays. I also do pressure washing and gutter cleaning. I plan to do that on appointment on Saturday. But if this lawn care thing really picks up I would drop that side of the business.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I timed my self. It takes me about 45min to do a 8000sqft lawn by myself. I dont know how some people say they can do 20-3o of those in a day with my same equipment.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I timed my self. It takes me about 45min to do a 8000sqft lawn by myself. I dont know how some people say they can do 20-3o of those in a day with my same equipment.
Is the 8000 sq ft the turf area or the property area? How many obstacles such as trees, bushes and landscape islands? Is this property level or does it have hills? You need to work on your efficiency. You should be able to do a lawn this size, with few obstacles and level in 30 minutes or less with you 36" wb. That includes string trimming and blow off.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Definitely need to figure out where your losing time. 45mins is way too long, especially with a 36" mower! Also it depends on how far apart each house is, the closer they are the more you can do!

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2011, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can do a 10K yard in about 15 mins not including trimming and blowing with my 40"
Old 12-12-2011, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

When I was trying to figure out how many yards I could do a day I would take a stop watch with me and as I was getting out of my truck I would start it and not stop it till I was back in my truck. always include your unload and loading time.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Member

what I meant to say is a 8000 spft yard with mow, trim, edge, and blow and three front bushes pruned would take me 45 minuntes. and its flat.