Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-11-2011, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Mowing Weekly

Does anyone mow weekly April to September unless raining or told otherwise by the customer? As in if there has been no grass growth in a week or two do you still stick to your schedule?
Old 12-11-2011, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermana232 View Post
Does anyone mow weekly April to September unless raining or told otherwise by the customer? As in if there has been no grass growth in a week or two do you still stick to your schedule?
Here in PA I mow every week in the spring, in the summer every two weeks, and in the fall every week again till mid november. It just gets to hot here and the grass simply wont grow here in the summer.
Bad Boy ZT 50inch deck.
Stihl FS 90R
Stihl BR550 back pack blower.
Craftsman 208cc Snowblower 26''
Plus miscellaneous equipment

Solo Operation
www.baslawnservice.com
Picture Thread

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=347985
Old 12-11-2011, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mow weekly from usualy March-October.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2011, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mow weekly except if there wasn't much growth. No need to piss off the customer and charge them for something they didn't need, easy way to lose them. Use your discretion or when in doubt just ask them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2011, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

With our service agreement form we agree to mow weekly (Bermuda) starting the 3rd. week in April through October. With our Fescue yards we start weekly the first week in March and mow weekly through November then as needed through December. We stop in January and February as they are our coldest weather and it would be bad for the grass.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I go with how the lawns growing mowing weekly till it slows down then maybe every 10 days or once every 2 weeks. You have to learn to feel out your customers and what they want some customers want me to come one a week if its only a couple of weeds sticking up.

60'' Gravely pro-turn 29 hp
60" Exmark lazar 23 hp
48" Snapper pro walk behind 14 hp kawasaki
21" Lawn boy
echo blower trimmers etc.
2005 Ford ranger v 6 4x4
Go O's
Go Raven's
Old 12-11-2011, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Cool, thanks for the answers. I was thinking that in my contract I would state that I will mow weekly from X month to Z month unless I am notified to tell me otherwise. I was not sure how everyone else did it and definitely do not want to come off as careless to the customer.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We mow every week March through the end of November...some places into December.

Have your clients sign a nine month contract with equal payments. In the contract state that "this is a green contract, and some months require more services and supplies than others." Let them know in the contract that they are paying equal payments.
If they want to quit for whatever reason, thirty days written notice is required and in the event of early termination by either party, the basic monthly equal payment is due in full plus any other expenses incured by your company in the normal execution of the monthly(green) contract.

Extra work (contingent work) should be written down and the client signs for it. You need a paper trail in case there is a legal problem.

Don't let clients push you around guys!

Go to the property every week of the contract...if the lawn is dormant, then trim or make some noise for a few minutes. Walk the site and look for pinecones. At least you are there. Some weeks you spend longer than others.

Keep a diary of what you do for every client.

Sorry, I just don't see how you can make a living only cutting when the grass is dry, or growing fast....plus you get three months off in the winter with no income...
Old 12-11-2011, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Appreciate the input. I was thinking that as well. This is totally hypothetical as I have zero clients or experience. Say you have 30 accounts at $40 a week. You have to skip one cut because of no or little grass growth. That's $1200 lost (before taxes etc..). That seems like a huge dent.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Yep, part of working outside. The weather can have a huge impact on business. Sometimes it rains and you can't mow for a week, sometimes it doesn't rain and your just making tracks if you mow. Like the earlier poster said, this is something you have to feel out with the individual customers. Some want it mowed, rain or no, others only want it mowed if there is growth. There is too much competition where I'm from to try to bilk individual resi's for unnecessary cuts.