Register free!

Old 12-12-2011, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

4 apps vs 6 apps

I have been spraying for the past few years and really want to build my app business. I have been seeing great results, very good customer retention, and few call backs. All this while using a 6 app program. As I get ready to budget advertising and evaluate pricing for the new year I keep wondering about adding a 4 app program. Do you think that 4 apps in a growing season that last from March-October/November would be worth it? I'm figureing it might reach some people who might not want the detail of a 6 step program or just attract more cheap ones!!

I see the potential for apps in my city and am one of the few who does them, but can't seem to grow it like I hoped. I'm planning on a big direct mailer in late winter and include some discounts or specials to attract people.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We offer several options with our weed control and fertilizer program. We offer up to a 4 step weed control program and up to 3 step fertilizer program. We recommend a 3 step weed control and the 3 step fertilizer program. The client can howerver choose any or all steps.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

thanks gus. I never thought about breaking them up separatly like that. I've been including weed control in every app along with pre and fertilization when they need to be treated.

Maybe a lesser level than my 6 step program will interest a different market of homeowners. I just don't want the quality of my work to drop...i don't want to offer a 4 step program it won't do an adequete job of keeping weeds down and grass green.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here in Wisco we are limitted to 2 broadleaf apps by law, which we do in June and Oct...
Split apps of pre-m are unnecessary this far North but may be different for NC.
Fert in May/June, for 1 app, Aug/Sept for the second app and Oct for 3rd and final winterizer app.
Of course that can be greatly exagerrated if you want to make more money. but few lawns will utilize that much fert unless they over-irrigate.

Even our extension offices say that 3 fert apps = High Maintenance... Non-irrigated does very well at 2 apps.
Offering options is always better than losing customers, becuz there is always something new to pay for on the lawn and they begin to question why it isn't working well...
Old 12-12-2011, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you don't want to encourage customers to cheap out. And you don't want to damage your reputation if the lawns do not look good.
You have lots of weeds, and need weed control--crabgrass control is important too.

I would try to get everybody to take the whole program. Try to avoid half-way programs. Tell the customer they lose the guarantee. Tell them they only get one weed control per year. Explain your longer growing season. Try for the full program.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I offer two programs as well, a solid 4 step program, and a top end 5 step program. Both are sufficient for the season. The 5 stepper puts me on the lawn in mid summer to spot spray summer annuals is the difference.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 12-14-2011, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I prefer not to "look" to get cheap customers. I want the high end customer who wants quality. Also, the cheaper customers will leave you in a heartbeat if they get another price. They tend to also give you more problems with call backs, complaining about weeds-EVEN IF you already told them that they are on a "limited 4 step" program.