Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-24-2013, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Trimmers...2 stroke vs 4 stroke

I am in the market for a new trimmer....Homeowner with an acre to cut. Use the trimmer mainly in the ditch along the road. My old trimmers have finally bit the dust.
I have noticed they now have 4 stroke trimmers, any advantage to these? The one I see on sale right now is a Troy-Bilt....$249

Also, I noticed that Stihl has some decent priced trimmers now. Wondering about these and if they are a cheaper line to boost sales just like a lot of other companies have starred doing.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
I am in the market for a new trimmer....Homeowner with an acre to cut. Use the trimmer mainly in the ditch along the road. My old trimmers have finally bit the dust.
I have noticed they now have 4 stroke trimmers, any advantage to these? The one I see on sale right now is a Troy-Bilt....$249

Also, I noticed that Stihl has some decent priced trimmers now. Wondering about these and if they are a cheaper line to boost sales just like a lot of other companies have starred doing.
When it comes to trimmers stay out of the box stores, they will offer little to no support and your trimmer will be sold with the carb out of adjustment. That said 4 stroke has more torque and uses less gas and last longer. I have a dolmar and its going on year 3 and has over 1000 hrs on it. It runs as good now as it did when I bought it. The 4 stroke dolmar is priced at $260ish. Also husqvarna has a 4 stroke now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks......What about the angle that a 4 stroke is on?....Is it like a mower, where you cant put the engine at too much of an angle or the bearings wont get lubed?....just wondering
Old 06-24-2013, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Thanks......What about the angle that a 4 stroke is on?....Is it like a mower, where you cant put the engine at too much of an angle or the bearings wont get lubed?....just wondering
My dolmar has an oil injection system so you can turn it any way you want. They are in the works with a 4 stroke chain saw. Now your troy-bilt I don't know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

try a stihl fs 90r. its a 4 stroke that uses mixed gas, so there is no oil to change. it retails at $319. it will last forever, its commercial grade.
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything
Old 06-24-2013, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackvbra View Post
try a stihl fs 90r. its a 4 stroke that uses mixed gas, so there is no oil to change. it retails at $319. it will last forever, its commercial grade.
Search the forums. The 4 mix has been less than trouble free. Many guys don't like them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have 4 Stihl 4 strokes and all are atleast 3-7yrs old and still kicking.Besides maintenance all I have done is put a new $30 carb on the oldest one and that is it.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&A Lawn Care View Post
I have 4 Stihl 4 strokes and all are atleast 3-7yrs old and still kicking.Besides maintenance all I have done is put a new $30 carb on the oldest one and that is it.
Shidi was the first to have the 4 stroke mix and that was 3 years ago. So I know you don't have any older than that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Shidi was the first to have the 4 stroke mix and that was 3 years ago. So I know you don't have any older than that.
Posted via Mobile Device

lol you need to do a little research cause stihl has had the 4 mix out for awhile!!The last new one I bought was 3yrs ago
Old 06-24-2013, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.stihlusa.com/information/...rate-timeline/
Stihl introduced 4mix in 2001