Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-13-2011, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

physically measuring lawns?

how many people actually take the time to go buy one of them wheel measures and walks around somones yard to figure out either the size or square footage to give estimates? I was thinking of buying one and measuring a few just to get an idea of being able to look at a yard and say ok ill mow it for 45 bucks or whatever it might be.

2008 Gmc Sierra
2014 Kubota z122 48 in hydrostat mower
2014 tophat 7x14 landscape trailer
fs 90 r trimmer
21 inch troy built self propelled mower
26 in craftsman snowblower
Old 12-13-2011, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I measure all my lawn estimates with a wheel. I also measure trimming, edging, flower beds etc. etc. I then punch all this info into my estimating software which includes a difficulty level. It keeps all my estimates consistent and accurate and allows me to schedule my work day to the minute. These systems allow me to run a very tight ship and monitor my time and expenses.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2011, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I measure all my lawn estimates with a wheel. I also measure trimming, edging, flower beds etc. etc. I then punch all this info into my software estimator which includes a difficulty level. It keeps all my estimates consistent and accurate and allows me to schedule my work day to the minute. These systems allow me to run a very tight ship and monitor my time and expenses.
What software are u using
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2011, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I created it with microsoft excel and access.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

i maybe wrong to someone out there, most of the time i just eyeball it. i never go by what the landlord etc says about the size of the lot etc. i figure how long its going to take to arrive, cut and haul (lawns). Mulch, hedges etc i have a flat rate that goes by footage, height, materials and hauling if desired, but of course everyones different. but i always measure for materials, cant have too much and i can get crabby with too little.
echo srm-225i
echo shc-225s
echo pb 250
echo srm 210
echo hc 155
(2)giant vac blowers
roto tiller
tons of hand tools
2008 Silverado
1999 chevy s10
2001 dodge ram
4x8 trailer

"a drunken mans words, are a sober mans thoughts.."

"Find joy in everything you choose to do. Every job, relationship, home... it's your responsibility to love it, or change it." -Chuck Palahniuk

Last edited by DavidsonLandscaping; 12-14-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I created it with microsoft excel and access.
Do you know of anyone that has something close?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can go to your local tax assessors web site and get the exact dimensions of a property, I then pace of gardens that need to be edged, I come pretty close, I use size to figure out the price, but never tell the customer the footage price -wheels run $50 -$150.00 it all depends if you think you need it, and there is room for it.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Member

There are tools out there for larger jobs like pro landscape, but you would be greatly under using the tool for estimating say how much mulch you need and a few shrubs let's say.

I feel there is too much variability in each job to rely on anything but something you have created yourself.

With something home grown and simple as excel you can hit every aspect of your estimate easily once you get some templates setup.

You can estimate based on labor, material costs, total hours worked/man, etc.
Then compare each and and see if you are still bringing home the profit margin you want.

I would suggest using a wheel, every time I have I've been spot on with my estimates and my take home, not so much when eying it up.

Also, if you don't get accurate measurements how do you have any accurate historical data to compare to when estimating your next job?

At the very least id start with getting the wheel and having one note book where I do all estimates from, referencing a predetermined price list.....I.e. $80/yd of mulch delivered and installed which usually takes at absolute most 1 hour, bed edging, weed removal are variable and differ per job. Based off of some concrete price list you have, variable, but accurate measurements should send you down a consistent path with your estimates....after some time you wont need the price list as you'll have these things memorized.

I've been able to do on the spot estimates with just paper and pencil and my wheel based on my price lists and measurements, of course following up with a true estimate for the client.

Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2011, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

For just mowing, I almost always eyeball it. I can usually tell +/- 5 min how long it will take. The only exception is very large lots (1+ acres). For those I use Google Maps' measuring tool. For hedges I charge by the bush depending on size. Landscape jobs are based on materials plus labor. To me, cleanup jobs (leaves, pine straw, etc.) are the most difficult to estimate, as they can get away from you time-wise pretty easily.