Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-16-2011, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds like you did not water in the plants adequately if this happenned between October and now. It is common to get desication in late plantings of evergreens. Did you flood the holes after burying the root balls most of the way? Or did you do have moist plants and moist ground and just plant them?

It is all about getting out any air voids in the soil by mudding them in when you plant broad leaf evergreens late. If you do not do that, the root ball will not draw in water from the surrounding soil. They desicate or stress and are subject to pests and diseases.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I have ones still in the nursery containers that look like that, as well as in the ground. The picture is of one in the container. And yes, they were planted and watered in properly.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'd like to get a closer look underneath the leaves; from here it looks like it maybe thrips or scale; was there any sooty mold evidenced?

Possible fungus, are there fine threads (looks like a spiderweb material) connection any of the lesions to the plant?

What's on the branches, anything?

Post the pictures to the Pest control site, lot's of pros there.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I took a plant to the extension agent. He checked it out and said because of the roots circling that the root balls were so hard they couldn't absorb water and were slowing dying. I'm going to break up the root balls and go ahead and put them in the ground and see how they do.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just read there is an outbreak of "boxwood blight" in Connecticut. Try this link
www.constantcontact.com or www.ct.gov/caes. It was on another site.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the link Dr.NewEarth, I have a customer with a $3 mill mcmansion, that is having a similar problem, 88 wintergem boxwoods lining the driveways, many of them discoloring (I initially suspected salt, wind, damage?) and replaced 4 this fall, but since have seen a few more that look as they may soon decline rapidly as the others have. I have asked a few local LCO's, and nobody seems to have an answer. Havent yet gone to the extension agent, but that will be my next step.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you very much for the link Dr. NewEarth. Symptoms on my plants are identical to some of the pictures on the CT. site. I also noticed symptoms on established Boxwoods next to the ones I planted. I guess I'll be removing and burning them before this crap spreads even more.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I just checked on the plants in the ground. The boxwoods on the right are the established ones. They have what appears to be the Macrophoma Leaf Spot, but they also have the brown/blighted looking foliage. The plant between the boxwoods (don't know what it is) is now infected, but doesn't have leaf spots.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2012, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys the British Columbia Landscape Nursery Association has just announced that the boxwood blight has entered our province> It has also been found on Sarcococca to a small degree too.

We are being told that controls are limited. Keep this in mind with your designs and installations.

I'm trying to reach the BCLNA for more information as the report stated only "some-where in the province.??? I'm going to presume the grower is east of Vancouver, in the Fraser Valley some-where. It appears the BCLNA office staff has left early on a Friday or else they got into the beer fridge in the meeting room. I hate voice mail!

Last edited by Dr.NewEarth; 01-06-2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Go Canucks Go
Old 01-06-2012, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLM86 View Post
I have 5 plants still in nursery containers. I put 12 in the ground in October. They all look the same with the red in the leaves and the white on them. They are slowly declining. I was thinking some kind of blight or powdery mildew, but I'm still learning pest ID. I had a Euonymous with the same white stuff on the foliage, and I blasted it with a water hose and its still there but the plant looks completely healthy otherwise. Thanks for the responses.
Down here in Texas the Euonymous family of shrubs (Manhatten, Boxleaf, Gold Spot, Little leaf, ect.) are all problematic and will get a variety of insect issues and even mildew. They should not be sold at all here. They should all be thrown in a compost pile along with all the Red Tips.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/