Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-16-2011, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Leaf cleanups with frost on the grass

Just a question i have does it hurt or really matter if you do a leaf clean up and drive eqip. on the grass with some frost. Or is it something you guys worry bout this time of year. I tend to be careful and try to let the frost mostly burn off before i start but got clean ups to do before it snows. Help me out.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have had to drive on frosted lawns before, and it does harm them IMO. It leaves tire marks that can still be seen in sprintime. They will eventually go away, but maybe not before you have lost the account from angering the owner.

Driving heavy equipment across lawns that have frost basically breaks the grass blades. It may not snap them off, but it breaks them in the middle, which causes them to show exactly where you drove on them for a long time- usually until springtime when the grass is growing good, and has finally grown enough to allow you to cut off the damaged part of the grass blades. I use a big BP for lawns like that, then tarp the leaves to remove them.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentech2007 View Post
Just a question i have does it hurt or really matter if you do a leaf clean up and drive eqip. on the grass with some frost. Or is it something you guys worry bout this time of year. I tend to be careful and try to let the frost mostly burn off before i start but got clean ups to do before it snows. Help me out.
DONT DO IT. It will leave definitive marks of where your machine or truck has been...Best practice is to stay off frosted grass.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

High temp of 20 degrees you got 15 more clean ups to go and they predict snow coming in the next 4-5 days. Sounds far fetched hardly that's very common up here and you just have to grin and bare it.

Something I would like as and option on back packs would be to use the heat of the engine and send it through the tube so when the leafs that are frozen to the ground wrapped in mud could be freed. You'd have a way to work through it which would be a huge advantage up here.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You do what you gotta do, I was mowing grass last week that was frozen lol.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 12-16-2011, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Something I would like as and option on back packs would be to use the heat of the engine and send it through the tube so when the leafs that are frozen to the ground wrapped in mud could be freed. You'd have a way to work through it which would be a huge advantage up here.
That's an excellent idea. If it comes out down the road somewhere, you have this thread to show you came up with it first LOL
Old 12-16-2011, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
High temp of 20 degrees you got 15 more clean ups to go and they predict snow coming in the next 4-5 days. Sounds far fetched hardly that's very common up here and you just have to grin and bare it.

ITFLMAO Somehow I think that comment was serious??
Old 12-16-2011, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Tony thought you and I were no longer talking so to what do I owe the pleasure of your wisdom yet again.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't have any wisdom in the biz. You have to have over 2,000 posts to know anything. I do however love the bp idea.....priceless.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you detuned the engine to produce 14cfm this would be genius lol

ps. dont run anything on frost, unless you absolutely have to