Register free!

Old 12-16-2011, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Anyone use a cordless hedge trimmer?

Once you quit laughing, I'm serious. Does anyone use a cordless hedge trimmer for weekly touch ups on small hedges? I'm not talking about dropping them in a viburnum, just fresh, tender growth in things like azaleas and loropetalum.

I've got a lawn that the owner does all the small hedges himself. He broke out a Ryobi cordless last week while I was mowing. I stopped and asked if I could check it out. The thing was feather light. It got me to thinking, it might be perfect for touching up small hedges. Even if it lasted a year, it seems like it would be great for those hot summer days when the last thing you want to do is break out a 12 lb hedge trimmer just to do a touch up.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure about that but I am interested in responses as what others think and are using. The thing I had most are eugenia topiary - they seem to consistently need touched up every visit to every other visit on some properties. Anyone have solutions to help ease the pain of trimming them and other smaller/softer landscape plants like them with out using the felcos or hedge shears?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-17-2011, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I use a cordless; Shindaiwa BR802. Fill the sucker up with gas, pull the string & away it goes.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
I use a cordless; Shindaiwa BR802. Fill the sucker up with gas, pull the string & away it goes.
haha! ya! you are right! it is cordless and i guess we all use cordless, gas powered cordless. i've been using stihl and they are getting heavier each year. time for something lighter.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Anyone have solutions to help ease the pain of trimming them and other smaller/softer landscape plants like them with out using the felcos or hedge shears?
Try some PGR's
Old 12-17-2011, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've got a cordless Black & Decker and love it, so I'm not laughing. I keep it in my toolbox. I picked it up at the B & D outlet remanufactured. I have a small power inverter I keep in my truck so I can recharge it. It's not only good for touching up small shrubs, it's good for when you have to climb between a house and the shrubbery or do a one handed reach. I often use it for touch ups after using the gas fired units. I get about 45 minutes of use per charge.

Now the down side...being a homeowner B & D unit, it doesn't give the greatest cut. It will shred the stems on some of the finer hedges/shrubs and the gearbox is starting to not sound very good. I looked into getting a second battery for it and it would have cost almost as much as the unit did.

But for doing a couple of little Barberries or Boxwoods or Euonymus or something, it's really handy and I wouldn't want to be without it...nice to be able to just stuff it in my toolbox and have it handy. I usually only bring my gas-fired units if I know I'm doing hedge/shrub jobs for the day.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

This would be a good choice for professional use- http://www.stihlusa.com/hedgetrimmers/hsa65.html
Old 12-17-2011, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That Stihl looks pretty nice but I bet it's more that the $50 I paid for mine. Here's the video for it...their site link is wrong. http://www.youtube.com/stihlusa#p/search/0/yhjrOz6jzUM
Old 12-18-2011, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks, but the price of the Stihl is more than I want to invest. The weight of it is a deal killer. I have Tanaka that is lighter than the weight they show for the Stihl.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is the unit I have...the B & D Hedge Hog - the thumb safety switch is a little bit of a pain too but you get used to not releasing the trigger enough to re-engage it. Not a bad little unit really. I googled it and came up with this link to it on the Sears website which has a few reviews of it. http://www.mysears.com/Black-Decker-...ws?tab=reviews

Just so it's clear, I am not recommending this thing as a primary hedge trimmer for a pro landscaper, but to supplement your gas-fired units, it's nice to have for light duty trimming.