What's going on with everyone?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2011, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
What's going on with everyone?
Posted via Mobile Device
Winter is good so far for me, how about you? I just finished up a on week and am now off for the week and enjoying life. This winter is flying by way too fast and I am still waiting on a freeze that does not seem like it is going to come this year, I am hoping that January proves me wrong.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-17-2011, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Winter is good so far for me, how about you? I just finished up a on week and am now off for the week and enjoying life. This winter is flying by way too fast and I am still waiting on a freeze that does not seem like it is going to come this year, I am hoping that January proves me wrong.
I'm good too, thanks. Been doing extra stuff and actually picking up new biz. I agree, it is going by too quick. I want cold weather too. I do remember 2 winters ago it was warm up until Christmas and then bam, freezes in January and a looong winter. Maybe same will happen this winter??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2011, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I'm good too, thanks. Been doing extra stuff and actually picking up new biz. I agree, it is going by too quick. I want cold weather too. I do remember 2 winters ago it was warm up until Christmas and then bam, freezes in January and a looong winter. Maybe same will happen this winter??
Posted via Mobile Device
I am hoping so at this point, but a late November Freeze like last year sure would of been appreciated, I guess it is has been good as there has been plenty of extra work if we wanted it this year because people are still concerned about their landscape, which has not been true in my opinion when the freeze hits, at that point everything kind of becomes a waiting game to see what is going to come out of it.

In a way a winter without a freeze would be good too - the plants and turf took a beating the last two years.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-17-2011, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
I am hoping so at this point, but a late November Freeze like last year sure would of been appreciated, I guess it is has been good as there has been plenty of extra work if we wanted it this year because people are still concerned about their landscape, which has not been true in my opinion when the freeze hits, at that point everything kind of becomes a waiting game to see what is going to come out of it.

In a way a winter without a freeze would be good too - the plants and turf took a beating the last two years.
I agree, I have plenty of coconuts that went through he'll the last 2 winters, so no freezes will def help out. At the end of the day, plants have slowed down in growth as well as weeds, so we are getting a break. But, it was so nice pulling up to accounts on the second week and just blowing things off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2011, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sure is funny how the two of you kinda of contradict each of your previous statements. You want a freeze and then you dont want a freeze.
I start my 20th year doing this, this upcoming August and have been through all of this before.
You dont want anymore freezes this year. You customers will start getting smarter on saving money and start cancelling service after Christmas.
People are putting in palmetto SA grass, zoysia, and bermuda. Which all grow less than Floratam.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know about you guys but I've tore out three Zoysia lawns this week a total of 7000 sqft because customers just don't like it compared to nice thick green SA. I'm replacing them with bitter blue because there is lightly shaded areas and its almost the same price as Floratam. It also does better in the winter IMO. I really wish it would freeze seems like grass is growing like crazy still on some accounts I've had to do them on 10 day cycles. Then again I just laid down a bunch of annual rye in my yard and one customers Bermuda lawn so I hope it stays warm for another 10 days or so lol...
Old 12-17-2011, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
I don't know about you guys but I've tore out three Zoysia lawns this week a total of 7000 sqft because customers just don't like it compared to nice thick green SA. I'm replacing them with bitter blue because there is lightly shaded areas and its almost the same price as Floratam. It also does better in the winter IMO. I really wish it would freeze seems like grass is growing like crazy still on some accounts I've had to do them on 10 day cycles. Then again I just laid down a bunch of annual rye in my yard and one customers Bermuda lawn so I hope it stays warm for another 10 days or so lol...
Zoysia isn't really intended to be cut high like St Augustine. It looks best cut short with a reel. I wouldn't recommend people go from zoysia to St Aug bc you can kill every weed in zoysia and it becomes denser IMO vs St Aug.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2011, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Zoysia isn't really intended to be cut high like St Augustine. It looks best cut short with a reel. I wouldn't recommend people go from zoysia to St Aug bc you can kill every weed in zoysia and it becomes denser IMO vs St Aug.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not really my opinion on the situation its what they want. Yards are small at about 2k average so they can switch for about $1200 bucks a piece with new mulch and irrigation system adjustment. I personally have always had Bermuda lawns and like them besides my house in SWFL which was SA.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Anytime I ask myself what the heck Im doing this for in July and August... the answer is Dec - March. Its been in the 70s all week, can finally enjoy the weather and not mow all day. They only thing Im not looking forward to are all the oaks dropping their leaves.