Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-17-2011, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickleylawncare View Post
Anytime I ask myself what the heck Im doing this for in July and August... the answer is Dec - March. Its been in the 70s all week, can finally enjoy the weather and not mow all day. They only thing Im not looking forward to are all the oaks dropping their leaves.
Haha I hear ya on the oaks....still beats 95 and 80% humidity!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2011, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Still balls to the wall. I'm over working til dark everyday now (I guess it never really stopped)!! Oh well too much work is a good problem to have. Feels more like the end of June, rather then the end of December!
Still running hard 5 days a week with the occasional Saturday vs every Saturday..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2011, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherlawnguy View Post
Still balls to the wall. I'm over working til dark everyday now (I guess it never really stopped)!! Oh well too much work is a good problem to have. Feels more like the end of June, rather then the end of December!
Still running hard 5 days a week with the occasional Saturday vs every Saturday..
Posted via Mobile Device
Extra work? New accounts? I have been oddly enough picking up quality accounts and extra jobs from customers. More work is better than not enough. Just wish it was cooler. 81 and humid today.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-24-2011, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Florida is so extreme. One year the 20's already this year barely cracked into the 40's
Old 12-24-2011, 06:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Most of our HO's live in association controlled developments that specify Floratam as the approved turf grass. The HOA's and CO's also have Floratam. We have none yet with any of the other non S/A ground covers mentioned.

On average, temperatures have remained in the high upper 70's to upper 80's (with an occasional dip to the upper 60's) along with some intermittent rain. We've seen some abatement in ornamental growth and little abatement in Floratam growth. Weeds continue to be an issue, particularly Dollar, White Clover (even though the water is cut back) Florida Pusley, Garlic and Sedge.

@15 days, the lawns look like they do after a summer week. We may have to send out a crew after Christmas to make sure the premium accounts are manicured before new years.

Could use seasonal temperatures into the 40"s, I'll pass on the freeze.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Most of our HO's live in association controlled developments that specify Floratam as the approved turf grass. The HOA's and CO's also have Floratam. We have none yet with any of the other non S/A ground covers mentioned.

On average, temperatures have remained in the high upper 70's to upper 80's (with an occasional dip to the upper 60's) along with some intermittent rain. We've seen some abatement in ornamental growth and little abatement in Floratam growth. Weeds continue to be an issue, particularly Dollar, White Clover (even though the water is cut back) Florida Pusley, Garlic and Sedge.

@15 days, the lawns look like they do after a summer week. We may have to send out a crew after Christmas to make sure the premium accounts are manicured before new years.

Could use seasonal temperatures into the 40"s, I'll pass on the freeze.
I'm with ya. In the beginning of winter I wanted a dew freezes, but then remembered all the plant cleanup, leaf drop, palm damage and thought mid-low 40s would be plenty. Just so these darn plants really slow in growth. I'm still doing most stuff every 2-3 weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Just had our first freez this week. Grass is now turning brown. (
Old 01-12-2012, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Finally got a break. Got a lot of my extra work caught up early last week. All cuts are a minimum of two weeks now. Kind of feels weird not going out for days at a time and knowing it doesn't matter. I have to think every day and make sure I didn't forget to do something.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Winter is about to get colder if the weather vageniuses got it right this time. Got a lot of noise about storms mid week & had none here; now we are getting warnings about a cold snap and to prepare for the possibility of hypothermia; We'll see.

Huge leave cleanups on our last rounds this week. Maybe I ought to think about putting a vacuum/bager on the mowers.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Since the cold snap, the live oaks around here have started dropping crazy. I can blow my whole driveway and, literally within an hour, several feet of leaves accumulate....