Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-16-2011, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

start working for someone else?

I have always been self employeed and I love to challenge myself by learning different aspects of the job. However would it be smart to find a full time job working under someone with 20+ years of experience in order to learn from someone elses mistakes, and also to learn the "tricks of the trade". I do ALRIGHT work, much better than most jobs i notice, however I feel like I have a long way to go before I'm one of the best... which is my main goal.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 12-16-2011, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
I have always been self employeed and I love to challenge myself by learning different aspects of the job. However would it be smart to find a full time job working under someone with 20+ years of experience in order to learn from someone elses mistakes, and also to learn the "tricks of the trade". I do ALRIGHT work, much better than most jobs i notice, however I feel like I have a long way to go before I'm one of the best... which is my main goal.
Your not going to learn how to do great work from someone else, that is something you need to do. If you want to increase your knowledge on plants, turf, design, go take classes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2011, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have to dissagree with diamonds above post. even with all of the classes you could take, on the job experience is still going teach you so much.

Yes the school will help and if you look at my other post on the subject you will see that I always agree with the posters talking about going to school. But I also usually tell them that while in school they should work for someone else to gain that experience. I would work for a couple of different companies to see how different people run their companies. Learn from the good and the bad so you see what to do and what to avoid. If you work for a large company you'll more than likely see more things in one season than you would experience in years on your own