Register free!

Old 12-20-2011, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

My 2 cent is going to be totally different than the general consensus. I trim back crape myrtles in Oct right after they lose their leaves. The reason is more because they are ugly sticks all winter long that I don't want to see.

Last several years the Road & Right a Ways have been landscaped using a lot of Crape Myrtle. IMHO Crape Myrtle is the worst choose they could have picked. Oh Sure all summer long they are the Lilac of the south. But come Oct and they nothing more than dead stricks. We get most of our tourists etc in the Winter months and all they see are those dead Sticks.

Good point, And some winters they don't entirely drop there leaves until Feb. where I am at. The tree looks half foliated and the leaves that remain are covered in powdery mildew. I think people get hung up on by the book pruning.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadooski View Post
Its sad to see that 99% of the lawn care people actually dont really know what they are doing. The few here from the northern states actually trim them the right way.
Most Florida lawn guys do the "Crepe Murder"
There are actually little over 100 different varieties of Crepes. A good landscaper will ask the customer what they intend the purpose of that Crepe is for and put in the right size one.
Putting the correct one in will result in only trimming the little round balls off after it flowers.
AMEN!!!!!

I agree