Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-17-2011, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Process for Mulchbeds

I am writing some process's for the spring and wanted to hear what you guys do when either creating or remulch an existing bed, IE step by step instructions per say, this would be for a commercial application.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Creating: 1) Create Bed 2) Mulch Bed 3) Clean Up 4) Collect Money

Mulch Existing 1) Weed 2) Edge 3) Mulch 4) Clean Up 5) Collect Money
Old 12-18-2011, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

An additional cover in the Spring placed around the plants as they are emerging, is the way of ensuring deep cover without buring the crowns of the plants them selves... Putting down the pre-m and roundup-ing the perennial weed b4 the process is of course your first step...

The use of fertilizer is a debateable issue, in that rapid growth, esp. on woody plants, enhance insect infestations... The rotting mulch from the previous years is about the best fertilizer perennials could want...
Old 12-29-2011, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 12-29-2011, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
An additional cover in the Spring placed around the plants as they are emerging, is the way of ensuring deep cover without buring the crowns of the plants them selves... Putting down the pre-m and roundup-ing the perennial weed b4 the process is of course your first step...

The use of fertilizer is a debateable issue, in that rapid growth, esp. on woody plants, enhance insect infestations... The rotting mulch from the previous years is about the best fertilizer perennials could want...
Thanks Smallaxe, I'm trying to write a process for all my services and wanted to make sure I wasn't skipping something. A few questions as to how often to you generally apply roundup or pre-em after the initial application, do you till after your first application before the mulch or not?
Old 12-29-2011, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post

[QUOTE=Smallaxe;4247521]An additional cover in the Spring placed around the plants as they are emerging, is the way of ensuring deep cover without buring the crowns of the plants them selves... Putting down the pre-m and roundup-ing the perennial weed b4 the process is of course your first step...

These two together is what works best for me!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Thanks Smallaxe, I'm trying to write a process for all my services and wanted to make sure I wasn't skipping something. A few questions as to how often to you generally apply roundup or pre-em after the initial application, do you till after your first application before the mulch or not?
Pre-m should be part of a "Targetted" application. These applications are targetting specific problems that may or may not arise... If CrabGrasss is the target and is 'needed', then is may be applied for "X" number of "$"...

Big IF a 2nd app is needed, it will also cost "X" number of "$"... One important thing to do is to make clear there is a Minimum Charge for each time you come on the property to apply anything...
Even if your minimum was $35.00 and you were asked to spot spray(roundup) a few perennial weeds that didn't die in the Spring,, and it takes 10 minutes to get it done, the $/visit is $35.00...

Even if your usual visit is over a hundred, it is good to name a figure that the client can relate to, as well as educating the client that so much is wrapped up in an unscheduled visit... However, They should see this as a reason to group a few items together before they say, "Let's Call, CPL"...

Keep everything friendly by negotiating, instead of pre-selling unnecessary trips... When you write it into your business model you are stuck with it... Make a basic outline on your ad, then 'bullet point' the specific activities you recognize as, an "as needed" 'extra'... too many absolute payments seems expensive to people...

Go after meat and potatoes with your ad, then work for the gravy...
Old 12-29-2011, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't forget to srip the old mulch where necessary
Old 12-29-2011, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan alyssa View Post
Don't forget to srip the old mulch where necessary
When is it necessary to take old mulch away??? ...
Old 12-29-2011, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
When is it necessary to take old mulch away??? ...
Some times theirs to much mulch in the bed and you don't want a mound of mulch in the beds.