Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-30-2011, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Well also a lot of times the old stuff gets compacted and moldy you probably only want about two to three inches at any time. I usualy take a good look at that and if need be factor stripping the old into the price
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2011, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan alyssa View Post
Well also a lot of times the old stuff gets compacted and moldy you probably only want about two to three inches at any time. I usualy take a good look at that and if need be factor stripping the old into the price
Posted via Mobile Device
@Ryan and lawnman: I am assuming in both examples you guys give we are talking about NEW customer - I cannot imagine tell an existing customer that I screwed up last year and put too much mulch down and some got molded so I have to charge you to take it out
Old 12-30-2011, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
Some times theirs to much mulch in the bed and you don't want a mound of mulch in the beds.
I still don't understand... are you just adding new mulch without allowing the old mulch to decay into the soil?
Old 12-30-2011, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The only time I take mulch away is when previous guy volcano'ed around a tree. If its to "high" in a bed just rake it over and top dress or dust new over it to get a fresh look.

Take that back I'll remove mulch if there is a drastic color change and I can't bury it I.E. red existing mulch.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 12-30-2011, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I still don't understand... are you just adding new mulch without allowing the old mulch to decay into the soil?
some customers just like the pretty colors of the fresh stuff, and I'm happy to give the customer 100% of what they want

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 12-30-2011, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I only srip the old when it did not decompose from the year before. A lot of new jobs have had other company's that never took the old out and would just keep pyling it in there. Not only unatractive but not healthy for the landscape either. I never just pile the mulch in. Couple other things for the processes that we do are spread the mulch by hand and than with a good flat hard rake tamp it all down makes for a nice smooth appearance. When I get some time and figure the picture thing out I will post some pics of our work. I think it looks pretty good
Old 12-30-2011, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Like ryan alyssa said and If it is around a tree you don't want a volcano around it because does more harm then good.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Old mulch and the fungus that grows in it are mostly good things for the plants and soil.
There are good and bad fungus, but what moist mulch does is grow beneficial fungus.

Sometimes there is too much mulch if it is overflowing onto the walkways or is over four inches depth. Four inches and more of mulch will create a situation where the bed will tend to be either too dry or two wet. It is debatable, but I think that two inches mulch is optimum.

I see jobs where people have just put down more and more mulch to make it look good and there is just too much. If you are removing mulch then you are putting down too much, or you just may need to do edging.

Throwing away old mulch is wasteful. Old mulch is better for the soil and plants than new mulch.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If a customer insists, or if someone has put down to much mulch, I will remove it and use it to amend soil. Or it can be used where you do not need good looking mulch like vegetable gardens.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
An additional cover in the Spring placed around the plants as they are emerging, is the way of ensuring deep cover without buring the crowns of the plants them selves... Putting down the pre-m and roundup-ing the perennial weed b4 the process is of course your first step...

The use of fertilizer is a debateable issue, in that rapid growth, esp. on woody plants, enhance insect infestations... The rotting mulch from the previous years is about the best fertilizer perennials could want...
Smallaxe, I think that the fertilizer-rapid growth-infestation scenario is only when over-fertilizing. Like over-mulching these things are done to make a buck.
I agree that most perennials do well on good mulch alone, but some perform much better with small, timely applications of the right type of fertilizer.

My experience confirmed my education that when it comes to both fertilizer and mulch a little goes a long way. I have and continue to try different things. In general it is prudent practice to apply half of the manufacturers reccomended application for most uses. When I want to produce traffic stopping displays of flowers, I use the full recommended dosage.