BILLMASTER SOFTWARE FOR MY LAWN CARE.
http://www.customizedbusinesssoftware.com
QUICK BOOKS FOR ACCOUNTING
1- Z SPRAY Intermediate
1- Z SPRAY MAX
2-Z PLUGGER
1-Lesco Renovator
1- CLASSEN SPLIT REEL CORE AERATOR
1- 150 GAL NURSE TANK WITH A 20 GPM TIGER PUMP.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

How much is everyone paying fo a bag of 19-0-6 .10% dimension from Lesco in nj
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2012, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefet View Post
I think we should all get together and take out an ad in the Press directed to the homeowners, making them aware of the requirements for their landscapers. I bet the majority of them are clueless.
Im sure a lot of homeowners are clueless about it, however, im sure none of them care. Especially if it will save them a few $$. I just had a brain fart and forgot where i was going with this so ill be quiet now. Too much reading today. My brain is fried lol.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB1234 View Post
again I could give two turds about the fee and the BS...thats life. Its the governing of the fert law, or lack thereof, that is going to gripe my behind. It's going to be just like the pest license, HIC, and all the illegal labor we have now. Simply not enough people to enforce it. The worse part....the only way you are going to get into any type of trouble is if you are licensed because they know how to find you, audit you, and fine you for your mistakes. Meanwhile the johnny come lately's have no way of being tracked and therefore no way to get fined.
The new fert law seems to me to be nothing more than just another tax on buisnesses. If they are going to make you pay for the license but not enforce it, thats what it seems to me. Lowballers or illegal ops will come and go. Imnot too worried about it. The thing that worries me more than all of this is soaring gas prices. Anyone else worried about that too?
Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H & M Yard Improvements View Post
The new fert law seems to me to be nothing more than just another tax on buisnesses. If they are going to make you pay for the license but not enforce it, thats what it seems to me. Lowballers or illegal ops will come and go. Imnot too worried about it. The thing that worries me more than all of this is soaring gas prices. Anyone else worried about that too?

"WE" as a business do not pay for our licensing...our customers do. Its part of my overhead...think of it more like a passthrough tax to the customer As for the fuel it is what it is...if you haven't jumped on the "fuel surcharge" fees in your business yet you are just losing money. you shouldn't be paying for that...the customer should! Just wait, everything and I mean everything is going to go up again...from something as simple as getting an overnight shipment of a part needed to keep a piece of equipment running to the local mulch supplier raising his costs cause of the additional trucking fees.

I don't like the term lowballer...i don't have a problem with what people charge...i have a problem with an illegally operating business. If a legit business can charge less than I can and make profit good for them, this is America, go for it. However, the unfair advantage they have is they dont' have to take time out of there workday and do non-profit generating tasks like....pay payroll taxes, send paychecks, speak with the accountant, attend pesticide recert classes, pass NJ fert law exams....need i go on?

your comment "...illegal ops will come and go. Imnot too worried about it." just disturbs me. Don't take is as a personal attack on you in particular. I strongly feel a lot of people are missing the real problem here and the real problem is NOT the $75 fee!!!! If 75 bucks is going to break your business get out now, you don't have a chance.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB1234 View Post
"WE" as a business do not pay for our licensing...our customers do. Its part of my overhead...think of it more like a passthrough tax to the customer As for the fuel it is what it is...if you haven't jumped on the "fuel surcharge" fees in your business yet you are just losing money. you shouldn't be paying for that...the customer should! Just wait, everything and I mean everything is going to go up again...from something as simple as getting an overnight shipment of a part needed to keep a piece of equipment running to the local mulch supplier raising his costs cause of the additional trucking fees.

I don't like the term lowballer...i don't have a problem with what people charge...i have a problem with an illegally operating business. If a legit business can charge less than I can and make profit good for them, this is America, go for it. However, the unfair advantage they have is they dont' have to take time out of there workday and do non-profit generating tasks like....pay payroll taxes, send paychecks, speak with the accountant, attend pesticide recert classes, pass NJ fert law exams....need i go on?

your comment "...illegal ops will come and go. Imnot too worried about it." just disturbs me. Don't take is as a personal attack on you in particular. I strongly feel a lot of people are missing the real problem here and the real problem is NOT the $75 fee!!!! If 75 bucks is going to break your business get out now, you don't have a chance.
The only thing that bothers me about the illegal op is that a lot of them undercut everyone and drive prices down. They mow or do whatever for a month or 2 or 3 and then realize they are in over their head and get out of the biz and when "WE" get calls from the customer that they abandoned and we go there and quote them a price they seem to have a heart attack and say: "My last guy only charged......" Those i really just say to them it is what it is and that the last guy didnt know what he was doing thats why he stopped coming etc". I usully just pass on those people because i usually sense a headache with them. I think its not necessarily the fact that i dont get the customer because of the price, its more of the time wasted going there when I could be doing something else. I hope that made sense? lol. BTW, the $75 bucks doesnt bother me either. As you said, it is what it is.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H & M Yard Improvements View Post
The only thing that bothers me about the illegal op is that a lot of them undercut everyone and drive prices down. They mow or do whatever for a month or 2 or 3 and then realize they are in over their head and get out of the biz and when "WE" get calls from the customer that they abandoned and we go there and quote them a price they seem to have a heart attack and say: "My last guy only charged......" Those i really just say to them it is what it is and that the last guy didnt know what he was doing thats why he stopped coming etc". I usully just pass on those people because i usually sense a headache with them. I think its not necessarily the fact that i dont get the customer because of the price, its more of the time wasted going there when I could be doing something else. I hope that made sense? lol. BTW, the $75 bucks doesnt bother me either. As you said, it is what it is.

def makes sense....had the homeowner the other day give me the whole speel about how his current lawn guy is not doing this and doing that wrong and how unhappy he is....blah blah blah. get there, give him the quote and amazingly i'm higher priced than his current guy. I mean I was shocked (hope your picking up on the sarcasm)!! I knew from the get go it was a no go. However, it was a referral so I had to go...it wasn't just a guy that saw my ad or number on the truck.

when push comes to shove they will live with those charging x amount less cause they are the type of customer that places price above any other deciding factor...over the years I've tried to avoid those customers and only retain those that place other traits above price...the problem with the economy is my current customers really don't have a choice at this point....price is becoming a top priority for them, and I can't say i don't blame them
Old 02-29-2012, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Extra time spent on mapping with Google (Thanks Google) , and record keeping for the new process/laws.

All my clients signed on for the 2012 season even with a price increase to cover fuel/extra insurance/extra time recordkeeping.

I don't want to take the chance to be unprepaired If I get a random inspection.

Even our local town officials can enforce this new law, and 500 bucks for a fine is to be avoided at all costs.

Hope you guys/gals are keeping on track as well.

Happy Spring to all.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Unbelievable! NJ SUCKS! I need two not one Pesticide licenses Applicator and Business Pesticide License and a Home Improvement License also just for myself! Just to cut a few lawns and spray a few weeds. Now I have to take another test and pay another fee! Not to mention what I pay for 3 different insurance policies. Can NJ make it any harder for the little guy!
Old 02-29-2012, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepetrilli View Post
Unbelievable! NJ SUCKS! I need two not one Pesticide licenses Applicator and Business Pesticide License and a Home Improvement License also just for myself! Just to cut a few lawns and spray a few weeds. Now I have to take another test and pay another fee! Not to mention what I pay for 3 different insurance policies. Can NJ make it any harder for the little guy!
Yes they can change the name of thier state to NY, then you would really be upset!!!!

Tags
fertilizer , law , license , spread