Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-22-2011, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
Glad to see someone jump in that can give First-Hand knowledge. Even though I may know the science behind the topic, the only actual experience that I usually have with ice is in my refrigerator's freezer compartment.
Even in my zone we don't need a heater. I've waisted a few a dollars with the floating heaters. Niagra has an extreme case though. A good blast of the pump keeps a hole big enough to to circulate the water and help gas exchange.

Yea you southerners have to rough!
Old 12-22-2011, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Ponds and Waterfalls View Post
Yea you southerners have to rough!
Tell me about it!!! My fish have been OCCUPYING for A/C.

One thing concerns me about in-pond heaters, especially if one is over-sized for the climate. That is if it warms the entire pond's water column it will increase the metabolism of the fish, which in turn is going to raise the ammonia levels. With the bio-filter (bio-converter) off-line, this could cause a very dangerous situation for the fish. I don't think that bringing the filter back on-line would help because by the time the water reached the filter from the pond it would be cold, hence any bacterial action would be negligible at best. This scenario may never happen, but it is something worth thinking about.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Pumps work too as long as they are n the shallow areas,however depending on the pump I'm most cases a heater is cheaper to run than a pump.. When we have extreme weather the hole a 1000 watt heater is only around 3 foot diameter again I only use these large heaters on ponds that are greater than 2500 gallons..now if I use a 1000 watt on a perform well that's another lol.. We would be seeing fish hangn out on the side of the pond drinkn margaritas enjoying the hot springs.. Lol.. Most ponds around here I use 200 watt heaters and they work just fine and sometimes a combo heater air stone setup if there are a large number of fish..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2011, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Today it is -20C/-4F and the ice is about 6" thick. The 200 watt de-icer I have is frozen in. So I put a 8' 2x4 across it and then a sheet of plywood, hoping that it will aid the situation. We have been having strong winds and even though I did put up a wind deflector, I think it was still blowing across the de-icer and cooling it enough to let it freeze.

I will check on it tomorrow to see how it worked. I also have a 100 watt de-icer that is different . It has a hole in the centre so I;m thinking it is more efficient.
I am planning on trying to see how it works when I plug it in tomorrow.

It's far too cold today to be working without gloves....It's supposed to be above freezing tomorrow........The Great White North

Last edited by Niagara Falls; 12-30-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Like I said before, I really have no experience with ice. And it shows. I was dead wrong about the 1500 watt unit being overkill. That may be what you really need.
It's 73F at this moment down here. Ice? What the h*ll is ice?