Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-23-2012, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Website hosting service

I have recently purchased the domain name www.clayslandscape.com and I have docked it with Microsoft Office Live for their trial version but it is pretty limited as what you can do with your site. I am need a hosting site that is fairly easy to maintain but can also have a unique look.

What hosting sites do you all use for your company's website? How much are you paying?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Member

You'll get a million answers on this one, but just find a reputable company, go with a bare bones "shared hosting" plan, and you'll pay $5-15/month. I say "bare bones" because 99% of landscaping sites are very lightweight, minimal resource sites and there's no need to buy more than you need.

Some to look at would be hostgator, bluehost, ixwebhosting, godaddy, dreamhost, fluidhosting (have used for several years and love), mediatemple (likewise), etc, and then hit retailmenot.com to see if there are any good coupon codes available. There usually are, especially for first time sign-ups.

In some way, whether via clients, or my own servers, I've used all of the above, and several more. In this day and age, the only time I really see someone screw themselves is to go with a fly-by-night re-seller when trying to get a host for $3/month. Remember, this is 24/7/365 marketing and lead gen for your business. $10 a month isn't unreasonable by any means.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayslandscape View Post
I have recently purchased the domain name www.clayslandscape.com and I have docked it with Microsoft Office Live for their trial version but it is pretty limited as what you can do with your site. I am need a hosting site that is fairly easy to maintain but can also have a unique look.

What hosting sites do you all use for your company's website? How much are you paying?
Check out www.webhostinghub.com they have won many awards for webhosting. Very reasonable. They are also having a special promotion now. Just google them. Most people give them a 9 or 10 rating overall.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2012, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's true, everybody will have a different answer. My advice is to check them out thoroughly, check their BBB rating and complaints for sure.

I switched to inmotionhosting.com recently. It's not too bad, I liked that it was easy to use and I could move over my t-shirt website and personal site on the same hosting plan. I think we can put up to 6 websites on the same hosting plan, so that saves some money.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The big concern would be the level of your ability at working on the site.

Are you looking for a site where you can pick template and log in and edit the site (full hosted CMS), or are you wanting to work on the actual code behind the site yourself.

There is also a middle ground of setting the site up yourself (or get someone to do it then teach you) and you maintain it yourself via a CMS such as wordpress.

If you are looking for the full hosted CMS where they offer themes to choose from, that is where you really best to find someone who can recommend what they use from their experience. These systems can vary greatly in used, features and also SEO friendliness.

If you want to do it yourself, or get someone to set you up in Drupal/WP, then you have thousands of choices out there.

I'm not here to get in a back and forth on a CMS you set up on your own, each have benefits and drawbacks. The big thing is to be able to know how to go in and make sure it is up to date, and how to get backups.

For basic hosting, one place I can recommend is pairNetworks (www.pair.com) I was with them from 1997 until last year, when I switched to just renting my own server to offer hosting to my clients.

Another place I have used is 1&1 (1and1.com) HOWEVER, I do NOT like their customer support, especially for their shared hosting (Dedicated servers is a little better, but for $200 a month, I still think it should be better). They have been pushing their CMS for making a site lately, I have never used it though. They at least used to offer a license to Dreamweaver CS4 for certain levels of hosting, which is a decent program if you get a good template setup on it.

Bare minimum, I also use 3ix.com, which offers hosting for $1/month, and for low traffic sites, is pretty good (they are basically selling left over resources from their parent hosting company) I have a church using their service. I've never seen a down time with them, but still, you get what you pay for.

For rock solid dependability, pair would be my choice. Only reason I left them is for my running my own server. For that their prices are too high for me for my own hosting service. I do maintain a dedicated server with them though for a client.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me, I'm a web developer by trade, just came here since I saw this section of the forum and I enjoy helping others. (note for moderators, I do offer hosting services for my clients, but am not trying to obtain business here, just helping out).

-Greg
Old 01-23-2012, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg8872 View Post
The big concern would be the level of your ability at working on the site.

Are you looking for a site where you can pick template and log in and edit the site (full hosted CMS), or are you wanting to work on the actual code behind the site yourself.

There is also a middle ground of setting the site up yourself (or get someone to do it then teach you) and you maintain it yourself via a CMS such as wordpress.

If you are looking for the full hosted CMS where they offer themes to choose from, that is where you really best to find someone who can recommend what they use from their experience. These systems can vary greatly in used, features and also SEO friendliness.

If you want to do it yourself, or get someone to set you up in Drupal/WP, then you have thousands of choices out there.

I'm not here to get in a back and forth on a CMS you set up on your own, each have benefits and drawbacks. The big thing is to be able to know how to go in and make sure it is up to date, and how to get backups.

For basic hosting, one place I can recommend is pairNetworks (www.pair.com) I was with them from 1997 until last year, when I switched to just renting my own server to offer hosting to my clients.

Another place I have used is 1&1 (1and1.com) HOWEVER, I do NOT like their customer support, especially for their shared hosting (Dedicated servers is a little better, but for $200 a month, I still think it should be better). They have been pushing their CMS for making a site lately, I have never used it though. They at least used to offer a license to Dreamweaver CS4 for certain levels of hosting, which is a decent program if you get a good template setup on it.

Bare minimum, I also use 3ix.com, which offers hosting for $1/month, and for low traffic sites, is pretty good (they are basically selling left over resources from their parent hosting company) I have a church using their service. I've never seen a down time with them, but still, you get what you pay for.

For rock solid dependability, pair would be my choice. Only reason I left them is for my running my own server. For that their prices are too high for me for my own hosting service. I do maintain a dedicated server with them though for a client.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me, I'm a web developer by trade, just came here since I saw this section of the forum and I enjoy helping others. (note for moderators, I do offer hosting services for my clients, but am not trying to obtain business here, just helping out).

-Greg

We use Network Solutions (www.networksolutions.com) and have been pretty satisfied. They also now have a mobile solution which can tie directly to your website. Tried a few of the others but they had limitations. As said above, CUSTOMER SUPPORT is key. Also, up time is important. You can have all you want but if the site spends more time down than not it useless.