Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-01-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your lawn areas look simple. Hedges twice per week?? wont need it. Edging and what not.. so so... replacing metal for rock...labor sure but materials are extra. It is really hard to judge the work in these pictures but based on what I see .. 10k may not be bad. I was up to about 13k but I cant tell how much trimming you have, how much mulch you have and so forth so I was trying to look on the high side. 10k may be suitable. BUT i am also only looking at the shrubs once per week and that is not gonna be necessary the entire 8 months.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok sorry reread. Twice per season. Makes more sense. My take... from what I can tell (and it is really hard to be accurate with the pics) can you Mow and edge for $120 per week? 120 times 36 weeks is @4300 Can the Shrubs be done each service for $1700 for a total of 3400. Mulch for $2000?. that is $9700 Figure how much you need for annual and add that to the $9700 . . . tell them the edging replace job will have to be a seperate deal.. not in the contract price. My numbers may be high but 10k doesnt look that bad off to me.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Just got the exact email with exact thing they want done today. Please help by looking over all necessary man hours and supplies.

neighborhood POA must include:

~the irrigation system must be started, maintained through the year (directed into needed areas, and then
winterized)
~the grass mowed and trimmed weekly; in the front of the neighborhood, on the Peaks blvd, and at the pool
~all grass and trimmings will be disposed of or blown out of streets and off sidewalks
~weeding of common areas will be done weekly, this includes the front entrance, the peaks blvd, and the pool
~trimming of all trees and bushes in the front entrance, the peaks blvd, and the pool once in the spring and
once in the fall
~mulch placed in all existing beds once in the spring and once in the fall
~flowers planted at the front of the neighborhood and at the pool, once in the spring and once in the fall total
equaling $500.00
~berms maintained at the exit of the neighborhood
~all services will be performed on the same day, and if time runs short, it will be taken care of the next day
~payment will be allocated in monthly installments, the POA reserves the right to cancel the contract if dissatisfied

If there are any additional services that you believe are needed in the neighborhood, please make me aware of them.

This is the Exact email i recieve from the POA VP Operations.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm still concerned. It isn't specified how far up the tree you must trim. Check your Workers Compensation allowances. We are insured only to 12 feet off of the ground here. If you fall and you are higher than allowed, it can cause alot of financial problems for you. So, check that out.

The clients want the bark mulch topped up twice a year? How deep do they want this?

We have a landscape bible here called the British Columbia Landscape Standard. The initial installation of bark mulch is recommended to be 4 inches deep with landscape fabric under it and with a possible "one inch top dressing per year"

For reference a cubic yard of mulch will roughly cover an area 10 x 10 and three inches deep.

Research your annuals. I can spend your yearly budget planting a 3 x 25 foot bed easily, once a year. And your potential clients want it planted twice a year? Look for a plant wholesaler and get an account with them. Don't forget that you need to be compensated for the time it takes you to draw a planting plan, select the flowers, plant them and then remove and dispose of them each time. What about fertilizer and bone meal? Do you use Safer's Insecticidal Soap to control Aphids and other insects with an exo-skeleton in an eco-friendly way?

Tell them how many flats of and what type of plants. Consider buying a few extra and keep them at home in case some die. (Do you get wave petunias down there? They fill in large areas quickly and keep weeds down.) Also, you can find lists of how many of a plant you should put in a grouping ie: 5 per square yard....

Be specific about what you will give them for supplies and services.

If you do this, state in your letter and contracts how high you will climb trees

Sprinklers: start up and winterizing are normal, along with tweaking the heads.
What if some-thing gets broken? You need to cover your butt and tell them repairs and parts are extra. Remember to winterize, you need to rent one of those big tow behind compressors. A shop compressor will not do the job!

Can you apply a pre-emergent in the gardens for weed germination control? And my other questions are do they want lawn and garden fertilizing, liming, an aeration? What about edging?

In their requirements the potential client is coming across like they know what they want. In my opinion, they have left alot of holes for complaining.

If you already know this stuff then, excellent! Hopefully it helps others too.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.NewEarth View Post
I'm still concerned. It isn't specified how far up the tree you must trim. Check your Workers Compensation allowances. We are insured only to 12 feet off of the ground here. If you fall and you are higher than allowed, it can cause alot of financial problems for you. So, check that out.

The clients want the bark mulch topped up twice a year? How deep do they want this?

We have a landscape bible here called the British Columbia Landscape Standard. The initial installation of bark mulch is recommended to be 4 inches deep with landscape fabric under it and with a possible "one inch top dressing per year"

For reference a cubic yard of mulch will roughly cover an area 10 x 10 and three inches deep.

Research your annuals. I can spend your yearly budget planting a 3 x 25 foot bed easily, once a year. And your potential clients want it planted twice a year? Look for a plant wholesaler and get an account with them. Don't forget that you need to be compensated for the time it takes you to draw a planting plan, select the flowers, plant them and then remove and dispose of them each time. What about fertilizer and bone meal? Do you use Safer's Insecticidal Soap to control Aphids and other insects with an exo-skeleton in an eco-friendly way?

Tell them how many flats of and what type of plants. Consider buying a few extra and keep them at home in case some die. (Do you get wave petunias down there? They fill in large areas quickly and keep weeds down.) Also, you can find lists of how many of a plant you should put in a grouping ie: 5 per square yard....

Be specific about what you will give them for supplies and services.

If you do this, state in your letter and contracts how high you will climb trees

Sprinklers: start up and winterizing are normal, along with tweaking the heads.
What if some-thing gets broken? You need to cover your butt and tell them repairs and parts are extra. Remember to winterize, you need to rent one of those big tow behind compressors. A shop compressor will not do the job!

Can you apply a pre-emergent in the gardens for weed germination control? And my other questions are do they want lawn and garden fertilizing, liming, an aeration? What about edging?

In their requirements the potential client is coming across like they know what they want. In my opinion, they have left alot of holes for complaining.

If you already know this stuff then, excellent! Hopefully it helps others too.

Thank you for the great advice! The $10,000 budget is a joke with all the work involved. For the tree trimming i plan to use a extended stihl hedge trimmer and a extend pole chain saw so i wouldn't need to use ladder to trim anything. The areas will only require 1"-2" of mulch, that is what the gentleman stated to me at the business meeting i had the other day. The only thing they want done for the irrigation system is to turn it on in the summer and if a head bust to replace it ( they just want a couple of head replacements in the contract). Also at the end of the contract to winterize the system. Agian the advice on the planting sound great to figure out. Emergency plant incase one dies is an aswome ideas too.

Keep the feed back coming!!
Old 01-03-2012, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=mowing4rlife;4261330]Just got the exact email with exact thing they want done today. Please help by looking over all necessary man hours and supplies.

I cannot even think about the rest of the email, the following line terrifies me, in order to not be in violation of the contract you have to sell your soul to them fro 1-2 days a week:

~all services will be performed on the same day, and if time runs short, it will be taken care of the next day
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Old 01-03-2012, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's not that much work, man. Just get there at 7am with your crew if you're worried about running out of time. It looks like 3 hours of work max
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2012, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoghornLeghorn View Post
That's not that much work, man. Just get there at 7am with your crew if you're worried about running out of time. It looks like 3 hours of work max
Posted via Mobile Device
I am a solo operation and looking into expanding this year to help me with this job. Not even sure how many extra people i will need to do all this work. This is why i post these pictures on here to see if some of your could help a little on figuring how much more i should charge over the $10,000 so call bugdet.

For the irriagtion system do i need to be licensed to repair and fix demages?

At this time my business is licensed as a business and will be purchasing a $500,000 to cover my self for this job.

Any comment on any part of this job will help alot, thank you all that post.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://irrigationtutorials.com

It doesn't hurt to start learning.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see no reason you alone cant do this is one day .. and still have time to knock out a few others. Sprinkler repairs here require no licensing. Seasonal flowers can get high so you need to follow previous advice and specify how many flats and of what you will include. Two mulchings are not abnormal. Bottom line here . . . You are trying to acquire a property you dont seem to be comfortable with. You are questioning alot here. If you are new and starting out you may need to acquire some lesser jobs to build on. I think you could handle this and sometimes we just have to learn from our mistakes. If you have your insurance and the right equipment then go for it. You need to get comfortable estimating your time. I have been in business long enough I know how long it takes my crew to service different areas. That is key. How long you will spend on that property a week. If you think you will spend 4 hrs a week then figure what 4 hrs of your time is worth. Mine varies.. running mowers cost alot more than weeding beds or spreading mulch. You can be talking anywhere from $35 for weeding or general labor to $80 per hr to operate your mower. And Definitely clarify your tree trimming... as already mentioned.. insurance dont cover you on much. You are a lawn service not a tree service. You should start building relationships with tree trimmers, chemical applicators, and even irrigation contractors. Even though I perform irrigation work I still get in a bind and need some outside help to stay caught up . The worst thing you can do is lose a customer bc you were too busy. If you get it fixed timely even though you had a sub do it the customer is still happy . Your Bid range I am gonna suggest be in the 12k to 14 k range, but again, had to say on the pics alone.