Register free!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My vote, http://www.floridastateparks.org/longkey/default.cfm

You can camp right on the beach and have a campfire, snorkle and see corals and sponges, lots of fish, dive if you are certified, go fishing, they also have cabins. One of my favorite places in the world.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you're flying it may be better to go to the keys and fly into Miami. I know you can rent efficiency pretty cheap for around $120 a night 2 beds 2 baths. I stay in Islamorada which is like 2 hours from Miami with traffic and the best fishing in the US in my opinion. You can literally be in 500ft of water and see shore. If you can squeeze into march you can get lobster which is a must do in the keys. West coast you would have to go 30-40 miles. SWFL is just to expensive and not really kid friendly. I lived in Iona and could see sanibel/captiva. It's a busy place in April as ric stated. I know Ft Myers beach has rentals too but as I said before it really isn't kid friendly IMHO. Everything is closed at dark. To bad you can't make it for scallop season in July then Homosassa is very nice old Florida.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
If you're flying it may be better to go to the keys and fly into Miami. I know you can rent efficiency pretty cheap for around $120 a night 2 beds 2 baths. I stay in Islamorada which is like 2 hours from Miami with traffic and the best fishing in the US in my opinion. You can literally be in 500ft of water and see shore. If you can squeeze into march you can get lobster which is a must do in the keys. West coast you would have to go 30-40 miles. SWFL is just to expensive and not really kid friendly. I lived in Iona and could see sanibel/captiva. It's a busy place in April as ric stated. I know Ft Myers beach has rentals too but as I said before it really isn't kid friendly IMHO. Everything is closed at dark. To bad you can't make it for scallop season in July then Homosassa is very nice old Florida.
Islamorada I believe holds more igfa fishing records than any other place on earth
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-28-2011, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Greg

I know you and Rick both love Sanibel. But the key words in your statement are OFF SEASON. Try driving on the Island during spring break and you would have a totally different attitude about a Sanibel High Season vacation.

Remember I live close enough to Sanibel to see it at it's best and worst. The OP is asking for a place where he doesn't have to deal with people. Sanibel is the last place he needs to vacation in High Season.

Too bad you don't have a Boat here in Florida. Cay Costa is a island only excessable by boat and also a state park. It is just a few miles North of Sanibel with Sand Bottom clear Gulf water that is cleaner than Sanibel. Cay Costa doesn't have any tourtist traps and might offer you a more quite vacation away from people. It would be more of a camping in the ruff type experience.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/cayocosta/
Ditto on Cayo Costa. if you want to get away from Everything ( and I do mean everything) Cayo Costa is the place.

You dont need a boat, though, you can catch a water taxi from Pine Island.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capelawncare.com View Post
Ditto on Cayo Costa. if you want to get away from Everything ( and I do mean everything) Cayo Costa is the place.

You dont need a boat, though, you can catch a water taxi from Pine Island.
I was able to get out in my boat today for this first time in a while. I cruised by caya costa and happened to snap a photo. As you can see the beaches are beautiful and no crowds. There isnt much to do on caya costa but relax but maybe thats what your looking for.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2011, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice shot. You come to Hawaii now, it is gusty and stormy. No sun. It has been that way this time of the year ever since BHO has chosen to vacation here at Christmas and New Year. I wonder if it is a sign.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 12-30-2011, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Nice shot. You come to Hawaii now, it is gusty and stormy. No sun. It has been that way this time of the year ever since BHO has chosen to vacation here at Christmas and New Year. I wonder if it is a sign.
It was flat calm out there today. That was the outside in the gulf, the inside was glass. The shot was just a cell phone pic to tease my friends back home in chilli massachussetts
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2011, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks. I have been living with 30-40 MPH winds since November. My clients are starting to get anxious because that is not the kind of weather I will apply in. Not a TG/CL franchise.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 12-30-2011, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Thanks. I have been living with 30-40 MPH winds since November. My clients are starting to get anxious because that is not the kind of weather I will apply in. Not a TG/CL franchise.
That blows
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2011, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tgcl can spray in 50 mph, remember dyhydrogen oxide doesnt cause collateral damage
Posted via Mobile Device