Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-22-2011, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Fiskars pole pruner stik, get it!

Man, what a great tool. A couple of you recommended it and it is awesome. Very versatile, light, and help eliminate the ladder.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-22-2011, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Whatever this stick pruner cannot efficiently handle gets turned over to tree trimmers.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 12-22-2011, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Whatever this stick pruner cannot efficiently handle gets turned over to tree trimmers.
Well, there are tools that can do more that I can do vs. A tree company. Silky has a phenomenal line of which I own 2 pole saws, lopper attachment, and 9 different hand saws. Anything my arsenal can't handle gets turned over to the tree company. However, most tree companies here are like landscape companies, not that great.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-22-2011, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I only do business with certified arborists who are members of the ISA, not some one who calls themselves a tree trimmer with a chainsaw and truck to their name. The people I deal with are highly professional, more so than "landscapers". These same people call on me when a tree in their care has nutritional or pest problems. It goes both ways.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I only do business with certified arborists who are members of the ISA, not some one who calls themselves a tree trimmer with a chainsaw and truck to their name. The people I deal with are highly professional, more so than "landscapers". These same people call on me when a tree in their care has nutritional or pest problems. It goes both ways.
There are 2 companies here that are ISA certified. If you saw their work, you prob couldn't tell the difference bt them and a "tree guy." I am studying for and taking the exam this April.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-22-2011, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The one company I turn bigger work over to is ISA certified and they do nice work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-22-2011, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Now I feel really fortunate. Then again, the people I deal with are not cheap. No such thing as $25 per palm tree to remove dry fronds and trim up.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Now I feel really fortunate. Then again, the people I deal with are not cheap. No such thing as $25 per palm tree to remove dry fronds and trim up.
That's the going rate here for a palm that gets cleaned up 2x/year. It is a good rate IMO as you are basically removing fruits and flowers. It takes me about 5-10 minutes on your average queen or coconut palm with a quality hand saw. At that rate it is good money. Now, if we are talking a clean cabbage palm, that's $30/tree. A clean canary island can start at $75, but usually will be way more than that due to the time consuming nature of removing the fruits without the fronds....if we are talking palms that get done 1x/year, price goes up more. If it hadn't been done in 2 years, get ready to shell out the money. What are arborists getting in your neck of the woods?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-22-2011, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They will not even pull up to a property for less than $75. Multiple palm trees can be done for $35-50. Any price per tree lower than that is on one property with a lot of trees. There are a lot of coconut palms here. For safety, they have to have fruits and fronds removed at least 2 x per year. No less than $35 per tree. You can get cheaper, however those people are not arborists and they have no insurance.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
They will not even pull up to a property for less than $75. Multiple palm trees can be done for $35-50. Any price per tree lower than that is on one property with a lot of trees. There are a lot of coconut palms here. For safety, they have to have fruits and fronds removed at least 2 x per year. No less than $35 per tree. You can get cheaper, however those people are not arborists and they have no insurance.
I tell all my clients to do queens and cocos 2x/year. I would love to get those rates, but with the tree rats and larger companies charging $10-$20/palm, I'm happy with my base of $25. I just did 4 coconuts last week for a great customer. Took me 20 min to do all 4. That's $300/hr. Not too shabby. Plus I got to leave debris on site.
Posted via Mobile Device