Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2011, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hand held blowers hard to start when its hot

Okay, I know this is definitely the wrong time of year for this but... Every handheld blower I have ever had (shindaiwa, redmax, tanaka, stihl, echo etc...) has ran good most of the time. But, when it gets hot and humid (over 85 degrees and humid), they ALL run like crap. They will start for one yard, and that's it. The rest of the day they are done. They won't start and if they do, they run like absolute crap. Oh and how mad we get having to get out the backpacks when its hotter than hell out, 30 times a day just to blow little stuff. I have never had a problem with any of my trimmers or backpacks, just the hand helds.

Has anyone else had problems with their hand held blowers in the heat? I've tried higher octane fuel and different oil. Mostly used no smoke 2 stroke and opti...
Old 12-23-2011, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Cool Time

Try letting them idle a minute or so before shutting them down,and
give the the gas mix a little more rich, just a little bit.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a cheapo Husqvarna hand held 225 for the last 8 years and never had a problem. Also have Redmax Back pack and never had a problem. I run 93 octane with factoey oil.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddixon7 View Post
Okay, I know this is definitely the wrong time of year for this but... Every handheld blower I have ever had (shindaiwa, redmax, tanaka, stihl, echo etc...) has ran good most of the time. But, when it gets hot and humid (over 85 degrees and humid), they ALL run like crap. They will start for one yard, and that's it. The rest of the day they are done. They won't start and if they do, they run like absolute crap. Oh and how mad we get having to get out the backpacks when its hotter than hell out, 30 times a day just to blow little stuff. I have never had a problem with any of my trimmers or backpacks, just the hand helds.

Has anyone else had problems with their hand held blowers in the heat? I've tried higher octane fuel and different oil. Mostly used no smoke 2 stroke and opti...
The only time I ever have a hard time starting my Stihl SH85 is when I leave it sitting in the sun for a quite a while in very warm weather. The gas expands in the tank, and I assume in the line etc, because it doesn't want to start until I open the gas cap a crack and let off the pressure. Try cracking the gas cap a bit to relieve the pressure, and then setting them in the shade under the truck or trailer while you're mowing. Don't forget to tighten the cap up though before using them.

Other than that, mine is about 10 years old now, and still on all the original filters and plug, and runs great. It has been used a LOT too.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If all your handheld behave the same way regardless of brand, it cannot be the blower's problem. I would look into the gas you use first. You sure you never run Sea Foam type of stuff periodically to keep the carb clean?
Old 12-23-2011, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same problem with an older Sthil 110. My blowers never have the problem. Someone suggested could be a compression problem as it got older. Forget why that would be the problem though. Cool, cold weather starts first pull....
Accelerator Baggers
Toro 21"
Honda 21"
Sthil 110 4-Mix String Trimmer
Sthil 420 BP Blower
Echo 755 Blower
Sthil HS-81 Hedge Trimmer
Spyker Spreader
Plugr PL 800 WB Aerator
Lawn Soultions WB Aerator

Echo BP Sprayers
Old 12-26-2011, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Check the gasket between the intake block and the cylinder.
If this gasket is leaking it won't start when hot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2011, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's most likely the vapor lock bro like the one guy said and release the pressure by opening the gas cap a bit. My old husqvarna does it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2011, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Slapper, you're all over this one but don't stop with the isoblock gasket. Check the isoblock for cracks and the carb to isoblock gasket as well. Another possibility, I had one come in acting like that recently and the carb/airhorn retaining screws had worked loose. It sure sounds suspiciously like an air leak of some kind. Could even be the jug gasket--check around the jug base for possible fuel seepage. If it's seeping some fuel, it's likely sucking air and insufficient fuel at restart.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Dutch.
I've repaired over 40 pieces of handheld eqpt in the past few weeks ,
And the isoblock was leaking on most of them.
I just resurface them on my glass block. Good as new.
Posted via Mobile Device