Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-22-2011, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

CDL Road Test

Hi, Just looking for some tips on the road test. On the walk around, are you just expected to say what needs to be checked or do you actually have to get underneath the truck? For the combinations endorsment, do I have to be towing?
Old 12-22-2011, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

They most likely will not have you go under the truck but be prepared to, and yes you will need a trailer. A 48' with the axles all the way forward will be the way to go. Don't get a pup trailer with a road tractor as it will be hard to backup.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-22-2011, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

When I did mine all I had to do was point out or look in the area I would look for something and state what I was checkin. The air test can be a little tricky but its never to hard. I did mine on a 6 wheeler international and a 20 ton tag and it couldn't have been easier. Was no harder then backing in my little equipment trailer. Online they should have the checklists that show everything your sappose to check for, print those off and have a buddy or someone that knows a truck somewhat check stuff off as you go over it. I dont know about in new york, but in ct if you dont spend alot of time practicing your going to fail. The first time I took it I thought I knew what I was doing since I had driven truck before and new the basic things to look for that people actually check, and none of that helped me. Practice alot, I really recommend going to a school for it, its kinda expensive but well worth it.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Don't kick the tires and say they're full of air. Bring a gauge. Check for you safety stuff in the truck and actually open up the cases. They will tell you when its ok to skip something don't assume they will let it go if you just mention an item. Bring gloves to check your slack adjusters and steering shaft play etc. Get a list and know all your tolerances like air leakage etc.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks. Will they be harder on me if I take the test in a small truck like a 1 ton with a 7 ton trailer? GCW is only 28k

On Edit- I guess I will need a truck with Air Brakes for that endorsment so I guess I'll have to buy a truck soon to take the test with. Will they be pissed if I bring an automatic? Im okay with a regular standard but not with a non synchro

Last edited by 4 seasons lawn&land; 12-22-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
Thanks. Will they be harder on me if I take the test in a small truck like a 1 ton with a 7 ton trailer? GCW is only 28k

On Edit- I guess I will need a truck with Air Brakes for that endorsment so I guess I'll have to buy a truck soon to take the test with. Will they be pissed if I bring an automatic? Im okay with a regular standard but not with a non synchro
A lot of trucks are autos. I got my A with a 2601 bucket truck and pole trailer.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4seasons lawn&land
Will they be pissed if I bring an automatic? Im okay with a regular standard but not with a non synchro
They won't be mad, but at least in my state I think you would end up with a restriction on your license so you couldn't drive a manual unless you took another test.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Go rent one from penske for the day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-23-2011, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstarlawns View Post
Go rent one from penske for the day.
Posted via Mobile Device
agreed if your going to spend the $ and the time go all out and get the full thing.