Register free!

Old 12-24-2011, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Faststraps

Purchased and Installed Faststraps today.

The install was simple enough and they appear to go on simple enough. I have been meaning to purchase these for awhile now to ensure that my equipment is secure when driving on highways like I-4 for sure just in case there is a accident I do not want one of my mowers coming out of the trailer and killing somebody.

Like I said, they installed quickly enough and seem like they will quickly latch on for short drives here and there, we will see and I will let you guys know long term what I think about them.
Attached Images

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-24-2011, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Heh, I've had a pair since May. Still in the box Maybe I will throw them on this weekend.

I know you mentioned getting an X-One. Is the other Hustler also an X-One?
Old 12-24-2011, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Faststraps are the BOMB! Just be sure to pull the straps to the outside when you roll off the mowers so you don't park the mowers on top of them when you put them back.

Strapping the machines down everytime you leave a development doesn't consume all that much time and keeps you DOT & OSHA compliant.

Mike, It looks like you load your machines to one side of the trailer; how's that for balance? We have one 17' open trailer we'll use occasionally, if we don't dead center the machines on it, there is terrible tire wear (inside or outside depending in which side the weight is loaded). The enclosed trailers have the 8,000lbs Al-Ko "Rubber Torsion" axles that compensate quite a bit, but I still like to center the weight.

As a side note, I know you're not pulling that trairer with the jeep right?
Old 12-24-2011, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Heh, I've had a pair since May. Still in the box Maybe I will throw them on this weekend.

I know you mentioned getting an X-One. Is the other Hustler also an X-One?
Yep, The X-One is the in the back of the trailer on the picture that shows two mowers. Still very happy with my choice to purchase it. It seems like a good choice for me and one that will hold up I am hoping.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 12-24-2011, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Faststraps are the BOMB! Just be sure to pull the straps to the outside when you roll off the mowers so you don't park the mowers on top of them when you put them back.

Strapping the machines down everytime you leave a development doesn't consume all that much time and keeps you DOT & OSHA compliant.

Mike, It looks like you load your machines to one side of the trailer; how's that for balance? We have one 17' open trailer we'll use occasionally, if we don't dead center the machines on it, there is terrible tire wear (inside or outside depending in which side the weight is loaded). The enclosed trailers have the 8,000lbs Al-Ko "Rubber Torsion" axles that compensate quite a bit, but I still like to center the weight.

As a side note, I know you're not pulling that trairer with the jeep right?

The trailer is loaded slightly off to the right. It does not seem to bother the tires or any other wear on the trailer as long as the truck is aligned. You have to understand that it is a 5 x 12 trailer, so even though it is off to the right a little, it is not that much at the end of the day as the X-one on the back takes up most of the space.

Yes, still pulling it with that jeep. The jeep has one more payment and it is paid for. I have been looking at trucks and when we have put the trailer on a couple f-150's it turned them into low riders in the back so I am currently looking for a F-250 for the next truck as I will be most likely be putting a another trailer on the road this spring/summer.

I already figured the straps would need to be pulled to the side. I am hoping that the habit is developed easily of putting them on as we leave each development. I am hoping that starting off now during the slower less hot months will allow us to get in the habit better than what might occur during the hot months when we are all cranky as hell because we have been sweating balls since we stepped outside.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Look at F350's or the Dodge / Chevy 3500. They'll grow with your business and I haven't seen a huge price difference. Also, the premium you pay for a Diesel vs. a gas engine will pay off in the long run.

We bought our trucks used and haven't been disappointed.

150's don't have the sack even with the 5 ltr V's. I've rented a F250 V8, it could barely pull the trailer and the fuel consumption was about 6 MPG with the trailer on the hook.

The F350 doesn't even know the trailer is on the hook (7.3 LTR International Diesel) & it gets 13-14 MPG with the trailer on. The Dodge has the 5.7 ltr Cummings, it's a beast, all torgue and gets 16-17 mpg with the trailer on.

Remember, the best performance you'll get out of a gasoline engine is what you get the day you buy it; diesel is just starting to break in after 100,000 miles when most gasoline engines are tired.

I'm sure a lot of people will chime in here with truck opinions.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mike the f150 should pull it fine. Here is my older 97 base model non-towing package that I added a hitch to it. I've seen that jeep plenty of times it looks to pull that trailer pretty good. I pulled a 3000 lbs boat to Canada with a 4.0L grand cherokee.

I have a 2010 f150 4.6 3valve light duty payload and it doesn't squat much. I have had a pallet of sod in the back and three on the trailer no problem. I use to have a 2006 f350 6.0 and got around 15 pulling but the f150 nets around 11-12. After you figure in the difference for fuel its pretty close but when I unload I get 17 city 22hwy in the f150.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Pretty much agree with that. I have an F350. But if I were using it as a personal/business truck I would trade it for a 150 with the payload package and probably the 5.0. And even if I were to replace my 350 with another truck that was strictly for business like it is, I'd probably still go with the F150.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
Mike the f150 should pull it fine. Here is my older 97 base model non-towing package that I added a hitch to it. I've seen that jeep plenty of times it looks to pull that trailer pretty good. I pulled a 3000 lbs boat to Canada with a 4.0L grand cherokee.

I have a 2010 f150 4.6 3valve light duty payload and it doesn't squat much. I have had a pallet of sod in the back and three on the trailer no problem. I use to have a 2006 f350 6.0 and got around 15 pulling but the f150 nets around 11-12. After you figure in the difference for fuel its pretty close but when I unload I get 17 city 22hwy in the f150.
I'm not convinced that trailer can support three pallets of turf let alone have room for them.

The truck must be adequate for the trailer, the load, and growth. To make a blanket statement that a 150 is sufficient is impetuous. Our enclosed trailers (22 x 8) are 2300 lbs empty, now add the equipment; 1 36" Metro, 1 53" Lazer Z; 1 60" Lazer Z and all the other gear, chainsaws, pole saws, edgers, blowers, fuel, etc. the weight probably approaches 6,000+ lbs. add the weight of a four man crew. The 150 series, 1500 series or the Rice Eater series are inadequate.

Of course, my trucks are dedicated to the trailers and I have a Ford Escape to commute.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Been using fastraps for 5 years and bought a second set when I added the second ztr that tells how well I like the straps.
MHM