Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-31-2012, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
we are back to stage two restrictions....one day a week watering...lame-
Seeing the one day watering coming back in the paper this morning was really F'n depressing. Especially since this is the third time this has happened at this exact time of the year in the past four years. We had this crap to deal with in 09', 11', and now 12'.

I'm glad I have Barton Creek, Lakeway, and Greenshores (off City Park Road) customers who are not being limited. As much as this sucks we're lucky this did not happen every year in April or May or we would have really been screwed.

I'm getting ready to do my fall fert/pre-m and luckily it is low N so I can still do it. I'm going to need the few grand it will generate to lower my stress level for the next two months until we cool to the point the restriction will not matter. Everybody better pray this El Nino is decent like 2010 or better.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 09-01-2012, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The Facts About Red & Live Oaks Most Over Look

Here is a link to my page http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=263 that has information about Red Oaks and to a lesser extent Live Oaks that are being grown from acorns collected in other regions that do not have alkaline soil. This is a big problem that most people don't even realize exists.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 09-01-2012, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
Here is a link to my page http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=263 that has information about Red Oaks and to a lesser extent Live Oaks that are being grown from acorns collected in other regions that do not have alkaline soil. This is a big problem that most people don't even realize exists.
It is a big problem. One of the more common is the Pin Oak looks like a Shumard when young.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
It is a big problem. One of the more common is the Pin Oak looks like a Shumard when young.
I have not paid attention to all the tree's that are east Texas only like the Water Oak, White Oak and others. The Pin Oak is Quercus palustris and I would not be a bit surprised if it has been sold here as a Red Oak Quercus shumardii.

Glen Flora makes it a point to let their clients know that their Red Oaks are grown from acorns collected in areas with alkaline soil. I think their acorns come from the Dallas area.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I have not paid attention to all the tree's that are east Texas only like the Water Oak, White Oak and others. The Pin Oak is Quercus palustris and I would not be a bit surprised if it has been sold here as a Red Oak Quercus shumardii.

Glen Flora makes it a point to let their clients know that their Red Oaks are grown from acorns collected in areas with alkaline soil. I think their acorns come from the Dallas area.
Even then you can get some cross breeding. DFW is right on the line between two breeds.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
David, can I join in? Not many Louisiana guys for me to chat with.
Posted via Mobile Device
Welcome aboard.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see a lot of sick looking red oaks that do not have the atypical branching you would expect to see from an older Pin Oak. Must be some other types.

I think some times it is girdling roots to because half the tree will look like it has chlorosis
Old 09-02-2012, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELS Landscape View Post
I see a lot of sick looking red oaks that do not have the atypical branching you would expect to see from an older Pin Oak. Must be some other types.

I think some times it is girdling roots to because half the tree will look like it has chlorosis
Both of the sickly tree's in my neighborhood appear to be traditional Shumardii Red Oaks. They just lack the genetics found in tree's growing natively in alkaline regions. It looks like Quercus falcata is another possibility that could be sent out way from Florida. I'm going to talk to the people at Glen Flora and get their opinion on the matter.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Both of the sickly tree's in my neighborhood appear to be traditional Shumardii Red Oaks. They just lack the genetics found in tree's growing natively in alkaline regions. It looks like Quercus falcata is another possibility that could be sent out way from Florida. I'm going to talk to the people at Glen Flora and get their opinion on the matter.

How old are the trees, how transplanted?

Too deep and or girdling roots are a huge issue. Did you plant them?

Got pictures of the root flare and tops to show us?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
good post--thanks-
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me