Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-20-2012, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeCreekLawns View Post
I am in Spicewood. Count me in.
Do you cover the Spicewood/Bee Caves/Lakeway area mostly?
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 01-20-2012, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Member

I really haven't gotten much in Bee Cave, but I do work there. I would say I am about half Lakeway and half Spicewood. This is my third year, so I am still learning a bit. It seems Lakeway is the mecca for landscapers. Have you ever advertised in there phonebook?
Old 01-20-2012, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I really haven't gotten much in Bee Cave, but I do work there. I would say I am about half Lakeway and half Spicewood. This is my third year, so I am still learning a bit. It seems Lakeway is the mecca for landscapers. Have you ever advertised in there phonebook?
Phone books used to work out well but not anymore. I've switched to direct mail and I'm going over my Lakeway address's right now to delete the lesser homes I don't want to target.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 01-20-2012, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been told the $350 or whatever they charge is easily made back from their phonebook. I know what you mean though. I think everyone just googles now. How long did you run solo?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I have been told the $350 or whatever they charge is easily made back from their phonebook. I know what you mean though. I think everyone just googles now. How long did you run solo?
I was solo for about two years and got extra help as needed.
Owner- David

Old 01-20-2012, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Member

That is where I am at. With the drought and water restrictions, I may have to ride out another year by myself. I saw some perennials (lantana, plumbago, indigo spires) already coming out today. Its gonna be really bad this summer if we don't start getting some rain.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Anybody thinking about going to the Southeast Texas Landscape Show in Conroe? I think I may take a road trip and check it out tomorrow. The Houston area has more growers then any other area of the state. You apt to find a lot of growers who go to the small local shows but not the TNLA show because of the high cost.
Owner- David

Old 02-03-2012, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I need to bring this dormant thread to life. If anyone else wants to post up on here go right ahead.

I'd thought I would share with you guys the spring info I sent my customers. Below is the info I sent. Is anyone else this analytical of horticulture and what's going on around them?

I wanted to give everyone a spring horticultural outlook since this warm winter is causing a lot of plants and insects to be effected in ways that differ from the norm considerably. There are benefits and drawback to the warm winter.

The warm weather has allowed grub worms to stay active all winter and the first hatch out has already occurred. The moths your seeing around your lights at night are adult male June Bugs and Masked Chafers. We really shouldn’t be seeing these moths for at least another 6-8 weeks. The moths are going to be mating here shortly and starting another grub life cycle in your flower beds and lawns. If you have had any digging going in the yard recently it was caused by armadillos eating the grubs just before they would have become moths.

If we are able to keep up this wet winter/spring it will actually help minimize grasshopper populations. There is a fungal infection that tends keep the populations low when we have wet springs.

For people who have Live Oaks this may be a banner year for web worms. The web worms over winter in the bark on the tree’s and cold winters tend to keep the population in check. Every time we have a bad web worm year it tends to follow a mild winter and this may be a record setting mild winter the way things are looking. The Texas Mountain Laurels are effected by a different type of web worm but are also likely to have above average infestations. We use a nontoxic biological control called Conserve SC to treat the Mountain Laurels if they get infested.

The warm winter has allowed many lawns to continue growing slowly just below the surface of the turf. We will be fertilizing two weeks early this spring to try to take advantage of the warm winter and to get many lawns in regeneration mode to help repair damaged areas. Getting lawns growing earlier will help crowd out weeds as well. The wet spring is going to cause above average weeds problems. If you have a lawn that was damaged by last years water restrictions you may have major weed issues that are becoming apparent or will become apparent in the near future.

For any of my customers who dabble in yard care please ignore the Scoot’s Bonus S weed’n & feed wave of advertising that starts this time of year. There is never a need to treat an entire lawn for weeds with the Atrazine contained in Bonus S. Spot treating of weeds is all that should ever be done. Many herbicides break down in the soil very rapidly and become harmless. Atrazine is not one of these harmless herbicides and lingers in our soil and water supply for many years. All of our drinking water in central Texas and across the south contains small amounts of Atrazine and Scott’s Bonus S product is the number one reason.

Lets hope this wet weather pattern continues and more of the rain falls in the Lake Travis watershed and the aquifer recharge zone. The big storm we had dropped 6” at my house but only about an inch around the lake.
Owner- David

Old 02-03-2012, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

That is some awesome information. I bet your customers appreciate that info. I have been seeing the lots of holes in beds and yards lately. I was wondering if a grub product should be put down this early. I went with your advice and cut down some near perfect bi-color iris today. When are you planning to put down fertilizer this year? Where do you recommend I should by my fert from. I have been buying Lesco from Home Depot because I haven't been able to figure out a wholesale fert place in austin.

I am supposed to meet a lady tomorrow that got a bid for $9,000 for 26 pallets of Tif Bermuda. Does that sound about right?
Old 02-04-2012, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
That is some awesome information. I bet your customers appreciate that info. I have been seeing the lots of holes in beds and yards lately. I was wondering if a grub product should be put down this early. I went with your advice and cut down some near perfect bi-color iris today. When are you planning to put down fertilizer this year? Where do you recommend I should by my fert from. I have been buying Lesco from Home Depot because I haven't been able to figure out a wholesale fert place in austin.

I am supposed to meet a lady tomorrow that got a bid for $9,000 for 26 pallets of Tif Bermuda. Does that sound about right?
For the grubs I don't think there is much we can do at this point. I think a lot of them are now adult moths or in cocoons not actively feeding where insecticides will have little effect.

My normal applications for grubs are Allectus in mid May and Dylox in mid July. I may move both my applications back two weeks earlier this year. I am going to do my fert/pre m application in mid Feb about two weeks early. I fertilized my own yard today to see what results I get.

John Deere/Lesco is where I buy most fert. I have also used BWI, and Winfield Solutions. For chemicals Winfield or BWI will usually beat John Deere.

For your Tif it all depends on the job and if dirt work is included. I hate doing grass installs. Grass is the least profitable aspect aspect of landscaping. At $9K that's $346.15 per pallet installed. For a resod that probably wouldn't be a bad price. I think you need to have at least $300 per pallet for a resod.
Owner- David