Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2012, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELS Landscape View Post
How old are the trees, how transplanted?

Too deep and or girdling roots are a huge issue. Did you plant them?

Got pictures of the root flare and tops to show us?
There is no question that the problem is alkalinity related. I amazed my neighbors Red Oak has gotten as big as it has. Most of the time you end up with stunted growth and they never get near that size. My neighbors is going down hill more quickly then the prior years and I do not expect it to survive much longer.

I also have a Live Oak the builder planted that is also not a tradition Escarpment Live Oak or a mixed Escarpment/Coastal that thrives in alkaline soil. It's some neutral/alkaline soil loving variety. My tree get watered by my nutrient rich septic water seven days a week and it has helped minimize the chloratic symptoms. The Live Oak soil PH issues are pretty rare compared to the wide spread Red Oak issues.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 09-14-2012, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Employment Authorization Card

Has anyone else ever seen an United States of America Employment Authorization Card? I've seen Green Cards and Resident Alien cards but never one of these until today. I guess it something you may get before you are able to get a Resident Alien card. They are only valid for a year but you are able to use them to get a TX DL.

The SSN card comes stamped with "Valid for work only with DHS authorization". This stamp is always on the cards of guys here on work visas.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 09-15-2012, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
Has anyone else ever seen an United States of America Employment Authorization Card? I've seen Green Cards and Resident Alien cards but never one of these until today. I guess it something you may get before you are able to get a Resident Alien card. They are only valid for a year but you are able to use them to get a TX DL.

The SSN card comes stamped with "Valid for work only with DHS authorization". This stamp is always on the cards of guys here on work visas.
I have not seen one. It sounds like a guest worker pass like a H2B and perhaps only valid for one employer.

Did you look at the I-9 form and see it listed, if so is there a type number like I-94 ?
Old 09-15-2012, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I have not seen one. It sounds like a guest worker pass like a H2B and perhaps only valid for one employer.

Did you look at the I-9 form and see it listed, if so is there a type number like I-94 ?
After looking at the U.S. Gov. website it appears it is a card issued to people that are trying to get approved for a more permanent residence status. It has a spot for "terms and conditions" and in this case there are none. The card is only good for one year and not several years like the other cards for a more permanent residence status.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like this one?

BTW she does not look Chinese to me
Old 09-15-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

Like this one?

BTW she does not look Chinese to me
That is an older card. The newer ones are different and have enhanced security feature to make forging them more difficult. But the info is the same.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
That is an older card. The newer ones are different and have enhanced security feature to make forging them more difficult. But the info is the same.
Interesting. I thought Bush created DHS...
Old 09-26-2012, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I was talking to Total Lawn Care in Weslaco down in the valley and they send a crew all the way to Austin once a week to work on two properties. That's 700 miles round trip. For fuel your looking at about $200+. They must not be paying the crew members to drive up because that alone could be another $250+ for three guys with taxes factored in. It sounds like they are doing well down there but who the hell would even ponder sending guys that far. If you have a breakdown or accident the equipment you need for the rest of the week could be a six hour drive away.

I had heard that in the 80's there were some companies in Houston sending crews to Austin to work. I don't send my guys any further away then 35 miles. My work truck racks up about 18K a year.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I was talking to Total Lawn Care in Weslaco down in the valley and they send a crew all the way to Austin once a week to work on two properties. That's 700 miles round trip. For fuel your looking at about $200+. They must not be paying the crew members to drive up because that alone could be another $250+ for three guys with taxes factored in. It sounds like they are doing well down there but who the hell would even ponder sending guys that far. If you have a breakdown or accident the equipment you need for the rest of the week could be a six hour drive away.

I had heard that in the 80's there were some companies in Houston sending crews to Austin to work. I don't send my guys any further away then 35 miles. My work truck racks up about 18K a year.
There is no way to be competitive and make money on that kind of haul.
They must be trying to start up a new office.

They labor is not going to ride that far for free either. They could be working at any wage and making money.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Did any of you guys lose any decent residential accounts in 09' only to get them back later? A lot of people have too much pride to bring someone back after they let them go. I got two accounts back just this week. One just bought a 650K house in Steiner and has a pool on the way so I should be getting a nice welcome back landscape job. They spent 18K with me on their last pool.