Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-05-2012, 03:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
Is anyone else doing the holiday lights sales and installation thing? I spent $3K on direct mail and have a $3800 job sold from it and a few similar sized estimates outstanding.

My own customer base should be spending at least $5000 on new product. Advertising holiday lighting is a good way to expand your customer base. Plus mowing work dies in November when holiday work begins. You get install work in November and take down work in January. This is my fifth year doing this but I should have been doing this a lot longer.

The goofy lights in the window are not from me!
Nice! Are you doing a lot of light jobs?
Old 12-05-2012, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

My customer count is up to 19 and the sales this year are at $30K.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
My customer count is up to 19 and the sales this year are at $30K.
How much time are you contributing to a light job? Is it just you or a crew?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Today I had three of my guys help me knock out some jobs but the other days it was just me and one of my guys.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 12-06-2012, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you been job costing these and find them to be worth the effort or is this more of a keep business deal and perhaps it will grow. You have doing this for a few years. Are you selling to existing clients or do you advertise?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELS Landscape View Post
Have you been job costing these and find them to be worth the effort or is this more of a keep business deal and perhaps it will grow. You have doing this for a few years. Are you selling to existing clients or do you advertise?
This year I dropped $5K on advertising and tried to jump start my growth. I went from having six homes to having 19 homes. The season is just about over so at most I may get 1-2 more.

Last year I used Service Magic Pro's and picked up a few customers who were not existing clients. This year the push was to expand my foot print and start working on getting referral work from areas I was not working in.

November is when landscape maintenance and even landscaping tends to slow way down. Because of this holiday lights is the perfect way to try to keep busy for one more month. Then in January you have take down work which is about 30-50% less difficult then the install. I have had take downs that went so fast we were hitting $100 a man hour.

The basic eve lighting isn't a huge money maker. It's the wreaths, garland, and other extras is where you tend to make a better profit margin. I gave away the eve lighting for cheap this year to insure I could get my foot in the door with a bunch of new clients. Austin is a competitive market so you can't mark up the eve lighting 100% like you can some of the extras.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
This year I dropped $5K on advertising and tried to jump start my growth. I went from having six homes to having 19 homes. The season is just about over so at most I may get 1-2 more.

Last year I used Service Magic Pro's and picked up a few customers who were not existing clients. This year the push was to expand my foot print and start working on getting referral work from areas I was not working in.

November is when landscape maintenance and even landscaping tends to slow way down. Because of this holiday lights is the perfect way to try to keep busy for one more month. Then in January you have take down work which is about 30-50% less difficult then the install. I have had take downs that went so fast we were hitting $100 a man hour.

The basic eve lighting isn't a huge money maker. It's the wreaths, garland, and other extras is where you tend to make a better profit margin. I gave away the eve lighting for cheap this year to insure I could get my foot in the door with a bunch of new clients. Austin is a competitive market so you can't mark up the eve lighting 100% like you can some of the extras.
Where are you buying your lights? Wholesale?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have spent a lot of money with Christmas Designers this year for much of what I use. For some items I have used Dara (ccbydara.com). I purchased a faux 12' commercial exterior use LED tree from Dara I sold for $2100 and it was a better price that my customer could have found on the internet and I did well on the deal as well.

For wreaths and garland Holidynamics has the best stuff. All the places I buy from are wholesale and Holidynamics requires a membership.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I have spent a lot of money with Christmas Designers this year for much of what I use. For some items I have used Dara (ccbydara.com). I purchased a faux 12' commercial exterior use LED tree from Dara I sold for $2100 and it was a better price that my customer could have found on the internet and I did well on the deal as well.

For wreaths and garland Holidynamics has the best stuff. All the places I buy from are wholesale and Holidynamics requires a membership.
Have you had customers ask you to use their product, lights etc.?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Landscaping View Post
Have you had customers ask you to use their product, lights etc.?
If your going to be in this business you have to avoid using customers stuff. it's your way or the highway with very little exception.