Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2012, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
If your going to be in this business you have to avoid using customers stuff. it's your way or the highway with very little exception.
Absolutely. But say you acquire a new customer and they purchase new product through you, but they want to use the same product next year. Then what? What is your policy on the product after first storage?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Landscaping View Post
Absolutely. But say you acquire a new customer and they purchase new product through you, but they want to use the same product next year. Then what? What is your policy on the product after first storage?
Once the customer buys the lights you use them year after year and factor storage into the deal.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-06-2012, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Once the customer buys the lights you use them year after year and factor storage into the deal.
What is your pricing scale after product, install & storage?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Is anyone here going to go to the OHBA (Organic Horticulture Benefits Alliance) Summit in Houston on 2/9/2013. It's $100 for non members which is what I paid. With my year old top dressing business it's a no brainer to go. You guys can't be too diverse.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 12-20-2012, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I finally had time for some projects late Fall, luckily my wife was with me on a couple and took pics [I hardly ever remember].
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...12#post4617012
Old 12-20-2012, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
I finally had time for some projects late Fall, luckily my wife was with me on a couple and took pics [I hardly ever remember].
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...12#post4617012
You've got to be religious about taking lots of before and after pictures. I find that usually only one out of a half dozen projects is website worthy. I use the before pictures to help with my AutoCAD design as well. Before pictures make the after pictures much more dramatic and prove you have ownership in the project.

There's a lot of clip art folk out there that have pictures on their website or used in advertising that is not even work they did. I had mentioned to a guy in SA on lawnsite that he might want to find pictures for his commercial maintenance company that are not obviously from Florida with tropical palms in them.

Here in Austin I have seen at least three companies use the same clip art in the yellow pages over the years.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
My customer count is up to 19 and the sales this year are at $30K.
I wish you would post some pics of your Christmas lights for us. At almost $1600 per customer those must be some pretty nice displays. I like living in a small town but we usually go to the Dallas area to look at lights.

Your right about the pics. One of these days I plan on having a website [own the address but never did anything] and it would be nice for some good before and after pics. One of the nice things about a town of 15K people is if someone wants to see what theirs might look like then I can just have them go by and look.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
I wish you would post some pics of your Christmas lights for us. At almost $1600 per customer those must be some pretty nice displays. I like living in a small town but we usually go to the Dallas area to look at lights.

Your right about the pics. One of these days I plan on having a website [own the address but never did anything] and it would be nice for some good before and after pics. One of the nice things about a town of 15K people is if someone wants to see what theirs might look like then I can just have them go by and look.
Here is a peek at one house. This shot only shows about half the lights. There are 525' of C9 soft white LED lights on the house, 36' of lit LED garland, and 275' of lights on the Italian Cypress tree's. We did a little $400 tree sucker cleanup job as well. The total bill was $3529 installed. This is about a 3.2 million dollar house. We do the one next door, one across the street, and I'm working on a third for 2013.

I have some pictures of last years work on Facebook that are better resolution then my website pictures. I'll have a bunch of new pictures to put up this year from the 14 new clients I picked up. I have one super Griswold client who spent about $8,000 for additional material and installation this year.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2012, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You made a comment in that mulch thread about being more than just a grass cutter, which I agree with 100%. So many guys on here take offense to that, but complain when they lose a lawn cutting customer over $5.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2012, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
You made a comment in that mulch thread about being more than just a grass cutter, which I agree with 100%. So many guys on here take offense to that, but complain when they lose a lawn cutting customer over $5.
Posted via Mobile Device
I knew I'd end up ruffling some feathers in there. Getting the thread shut down did not come as a surprise. The one guy who mentioned my credentials shows 32 years in residency on his website. I suspect that may be some creative math adding up the number of years he ans his workers have lived in their area or something.

His website shows a whopping four pictures of most Jed Clampett looking properties he mows. There was one decent picture I gave him a thumbs up for. But common, if you have some business skills are you really going to have such a home brew looking website. My site is done on a budget and isn't going to win any awards but at least it doesn't look like it's hosted by GED Inc.

Many guys on there think spreading a few bags of mulch from Walmart out of the back of their old pickup truck counts as experience. I would really hate to be in some market where bulk is the only choice. Poking fun at other guys who's live to take grass mowing pictures or who obviously don't set the bar very high for their life goals can be humorous at times. I can usually hold my own in the field of barbed humor.