Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-20-2012, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
You made a comment in that mulch thread about being more than just a grass cutter, which I agree with 100%. So many guys on here take offense to that, but complain when they lose a lawn cutting customer over $5.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've put quite a few grass cutters out of a job. How can you maintain a property if you can't set the controller, understand horticultural issues, have a license to make applications, take care of customers landscape design & install needs, understand lighting, and so on. If your not going to service all your customers needs you leave the door open for others to do what you can't.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-20-2012, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just about to wrap up the season. Finished a drain for a client. The guys finished fast.
We have a lunch date set and I will give out a small bonus check and off to vacation they go.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

How was everyone's holiday? I hope well!
Old 12-28-2012, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Landscaping View Post
How was everyone's holiday? I hope well!
If the transmission shop hadn't goofed up on the $8500 Suncoast Comp Jr. kit I bought for my 68RFE transmission it would be better.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 12-28-2012, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
If the transmission shop hadn't goofed up on the $8500 Suncoast Comp Jr. kit I bought for my 68RFE transmission it would be better.
Sorry to hear that. Time to find another transmission shop.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Now that the year is about over I'd like to hear how people did. I just have three guys and managed about $320K in sales. This is about a $50K bump from last year and gets me back to 2008 numbers where I had my best year. But in 08' I had way more high profit margin landscape installations. I miss those days of having a list of people ten deep who were waiting for us to landscape their pool or yard.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Now that the year is about over I'd like to hear how people did. I just have three guys and managed about $320K in sales. This is about a $50K bump from last year and gets me back to 2008 numbers where I had my best year. But in 08' I had way more high profit margin landscape installations. I miss those days of having a list of people ten deep who were waiting for us to landscape their pool or yard.
Since you are very hands on that averages out to about 80k per man year?

That sounds about like the going average. I do not do that much hands on work. I only generate about 40K of billable income for the company. I suppose that means I am pretty close to the 80K per person. I just hired an extra guy so at first it was a drain on. Work is starting to fill in. Hope to split that into two crews by adding a 4th guy next year.

Got one bid out I am hoping to hear from early next year. I have another that is likely stale now. Always picking up little stuff but I like growing in chunks.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Since you are very hands on that averages out to about 80k per man year?

That sounds about like the going average. I do not do that much hands on work. I only generate about 40K of billable income for the company. I suppose that means I am pretty close to the 80K per person. I just hired an extra guy so at first it was a drain on. Work is starting to fill in. Hope to split that into two crews by adding a 4th guy next year.

Got one bid out I am hoping to hear from early next year. I have another that is likely stale now. Always picking up little stuff but I like growing in chunks.
I usually go out with my guys about 3-4 days a month on average. My guys do landscape maintenance Tuesday thru Friday and we fill in Monday with other projects.

I either do all the application work myself or have my guys help me with it. On items like Top Choice or fungal application where the material is expensive I do all the work myself.

This year I was the busiest myself doing early spring top dressing and then again from late October thru the beginning of December doing holiday lighting bids and installs. In between I got to enjoy the AC most of the time.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I usually go out with my guys about 3-4 days a month on average. My guys do landscape maintenance Tuesday thru Friday and we fill in Monday with other projects.

I either do all the application work myself or have my guys help me with it. On items like Top Choice or fungal application where the material is expensive I do all the work myself.

This year I was the busiest myself doing early spring top dressing and then again from late October thru the beginning of December doing holiday lighting bids and installs. In between I got to enjoy the AC most of the time.
Kind of the same here. We do monday through thursday. I do the irrgation and apps.

I really want to make some investments this year in equipment.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Kind of the same here. We do monday through thursday. I do the irrgation and apps.

I really want to make some investments this year in equipment.
I'm the opposite and want to pay down what I have. Between my shop, two trucks, 20' dump trailer, triple axle goosneck, 16' enclosed, 16' open, and so on I probably have invested $200K which is a lot of equipment for a one three man crew sized company.

Once I get my truck and 20' dump trailer paid off I would like to buy a T190 sized loader. If Texas doesn't turn into Arizona by then.