Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-04-2012, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info man. I will have to go check the john deere landscapes place out. It looks like all the rain is east of Austin again. Its gonna be bad out in my area if that lake don't fill up.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I got 2" at my house last night and 6" on the prior rain vent. Williamson County got the big 6" hit this time. If all this rain had fallen to the west the lake would be up ten feet. Here is a link that shows how large of an area feeds into the Colorado River http://hydromet.lcra.org/full.aspx.

We may be getting some luck this winter with La Nina. Occasionally, La Nina will actually bring a wetter then normal winter after a dry summer. KXAN was speculating that we maybe in one of those rare wet winters. Lets just hope the rain keeps coming and it shifts to the west 100 miles.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 02-05-2012, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well I can BS with the best of them, so go ahead and sign me up also.
April will start my 17th year in the biz. I do maintenance, installs, small water features and licensed by the TDA for T&O. I am a small operation in a small town. I started out solo then added people and then went back to solo in 2008. Now my son is helping me now while he is going to our small college.

I would like it if y'all would post some pictures of yourselves here. I like going to the TTA and TNLA shows when they are close and attend some of the dealer open houses at times. I know some of you also attended some of these, so it would be nice to see what each other looks like so maybe we can say "howdy" to each other. I do not know how to re post pics, but if you will go to this thread I have some pics of the family and myself on the first two pages.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=366967
Old 02-05-2012, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

David Prew

Here's my goofy picture. I'm in Buda next to Austin. I'm 41 and try to workout and not let myself go to hell. Back when I was 25 and had been out of the Army for about a year I could bench 325. I went to hell a little bit a few times since then but I'm on a decent workout kick right now. I'm hoping to bench 300 again in the near future. If you stay in shape your chance of hurting your back or getting some other career ending injury is a lot less.
Attached Images

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 02-05-2012, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You're really cute, David. I'll hire you to take care of my acre if you promise to mow shirtless...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2012, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Satx here. Woot! Grass is already growing at some of my accounts, thanks to all this rain. Cross your fingers for a better year than the last one.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've got to thank Turf Dog for correcting me with a PM. The moths we tend to see are Sod, Pecan, Fall, and Oak leaf Rollers as far as pesky moths. I've got to make sure I limit my late night posts when there are a few empty beers bottle on my desk so I don't go awry.

Attached is a picture of the Masked Chafer which is the adult stage of our more wide spread grub you will find. The picture was taken at my house last year. Last year was hell with grub issues and this year may be worse. Luckily only the male June Bugs and Masked Chafers are dumb enough to be attracted to light so you will not find higher concentrations of grubs near lights. The female is smart enough to hide in the lawn and beds and let the male be bait for the geckos.

Last year the soil in native areas was hard like a parking lot and there were few tender roots for grubs to eat. As a result Chafers and June Bugs were drawn to irrigated landscapes like a magnet to lay eggs. To make matters worse the armadillos were starving to death and were drawn to urban landscapes in a huge way to feed.

I saw an area of one of my customers lawns in late January that was torn to hell by Armadillos and that just doesn't happen this time of year usually. I may bring some Allectus with me when I fertilize tomorrow. I was going to wait another ten days to fertilize but I'm going to go ahead and do it tomorrow. I'm thinking weekly mowing may be required as soon as mid March.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2012, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

This is a link to some random pics off of my phone. I need to go through my computer and post some more but they need re sized and I will admit I am not very good at doing stuff like that.

The one thing I regret in my years of business is lack of pictures. I really need to start taking before and after pics. Now that I have a phone that takes pictures there is no reason for me not to, but I still find myself forgetting.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=366842
Old 02-10-2012, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I am in

I live in Forney, servicing, Rockwal, garland, rowlett, heath, wylie.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
Well I can BS with the best of them, so go ahead and sign me up also.
April will start my 17th year in the biz. I do maintenance, installs, small water features and licensed by the TDA for T&O. I am a small operation in a small town. I started out solo then added people and then went back to solo in 2008. Now my son is helping me now while he is going to our small college.

I would like it if y'all would post some pictures of yourselves here. I like going to the TTA and TNLA shows when they are close and attend some of the dealer open houses at times. I know some of you also attended some of these, so it would be nice to see what each other looks like so maybe we can say "howdy" to each other. I do not know how to re post pics, but if you will go to this thread I have some pics of the family and myself on the first two pages.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=366967
If you take a picture already posted on Lawnsite you can resize it a tiny bit, rename it, and then repost it.